May 21, 2014, 8:22 PM EDT
Another day, another team reportedly uninterested in Ryan Miller.
Make that teams. Plural.
Shortly after the Blues announced they wouldn’t be retaining Miller’s services, ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun reports both Anaheim and San Jose are going to take a pass on the veteran netminder:
The decision by the St. Louis Blues to not try to re-sign him after a first-round playoff exit was probably a mutual decision anyway. It means Miller is headed to the July 1 unrestricted free agency market for the first time in his career, which was pretty much always the plan.
He’s been linked for almost a year to the Anaheim Ducks, perhaps because Miller’s wife, Noureen DeWulf, is a Hollywood actress, so the fit would certainly work from that perspective. But a source told ESPN.com Wednesday that the Ducks have decided to stick with the kids in net, John Gibson and Frederik Andersen, and do not plan on courting Miller.
You can also rule out fellow California club San Jose. The word out of there is that the Sharks are going to continue to focus on their mini-rebuild and it’s about youth for them. Adding veterans players is not in the cards in San Jose.
On Monday, Brough compiled a list of five potential landing spots for Miller — with Anaheim and San Jose being two of the five. His remaining three were Vancouver, Pittsburgh and Minnesota… but, on Wednesday, Wild GM Chuck Fletcher said there’s a “realistic chance” his team will carry three goalies next year in Josh Harding, Niklas Backstrom and Darcy Kuemper.
So does sixth “honorable mention” team for Miller, the Washington Capitals, suddenly come into play? The Caps only have two goalies with NHL experience under contract for next season — Braden Holtby and Philipp Grubauer — and there’s no telling what direction the club will go, given its current GM and head coaching vacancies.
- Habs sign Petry to a six-year, $33 million extension 12
- ‘Home-grown talent’ a staple of Blackhawks and Lightning 4
- A holdover from the ‘dark days,’ does Sharp have a future in Chicago? 36
- Bishop: ‘Taller guys…can be just as athletic as the smaller guys’ 6
- Tire pump? Yzerman says Toews is ‘bigger, stronger, better’ than he was 17
- Devils officially announce John Hynes, becomes youngest NHL coach 9
- PHT arrives in Tampa, gets soaked (oh, and today is Media Day) 6
- Ex-Leafs goalie Pogge eyeing North American return 5
- Poll: Should the Ducks fire Boudreau? 86
- Zuccarello (brain contusion, skull fracture) was unable to speak after injury 28
- ‘Hawks rise to occasion in Game 7, head to SCF for third time in six years (95)
- Poll: Should the Ducks fire Boudreau? (86)
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers (76)
- Is it fair to hold cap teams to old dynasty standards? (74)
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win (65)