May 21, 2014, 9:57 AM EDT
Two more wins. That’s what New York Rangers goaltender Henrik Lundqvist needs to reach the Stanley Cup Final for the first time in his career.
He’s been this close once before, when the Rangers faced the New Jersey Devils in the 2012 Eastern Conference Final. He doesn’t want a repeat of that six-game series loss.
“You don’t want to sit at the end of the year and feel like you had more to give,” Lundqvist said, per the Toronto Sun. “That’s what I felt a little bit the last time we were in the conference final. We didn’t reach our full potential, and it was extremely disappointing to end the season like that.
“My goal right now is to really try to reach my full potential and inspire teammates and everybody that’s helping us right now to kind of reach that level and see how far it takes us.”
He certainly did that in the Rangers’ 3-1 victory on Monday. He turned aside 40 of 41 shots and even earned the praise of Canadiens coach Michel Therrien.
Nearly three months removed from his 32nd birthday, Lundqvist’s storyline is that a Stanley Cup championship is the only glaring omission left on his resume. With the way he’s played in the 2014 postseason, that might not be the case for much longer.
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup (Updated) 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 21
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)