May 21, 2014, 9:57 AM EDT
Two more wins. That’s what New York Rangers goaltender Henrik Lundqvist needs to reach the Stanley Cup Final for the first time in his career.
He’s been this close once before, when the Rangers faced the New Jersey Devils in the 2012 Eastern Conference Final. He doesn’t want a repeat of that six-game series loss.
“You don’t want to sit at the end of the year and feel like you had more to give,” Lundqvist said, per the Toronto Sun. “That’s what I felt a little bit the last time we were in the conference final. We didn’t reach our full potential, and it was extremely disappointing to end the season like that.
“My goal right now is to really try to reach my full potential and inspire teammates and everybody that’s helping us right now to kind of reach that level and see how far it takes us.”
He certainly did that in the Rangers’ 3-1 victory on Monday. He turned aside 40 of 41 shots and even earned the praise of Canadiens coach Michel Therrien.
Nearly three months removed from his 32nd birthday, Lundqvist’s storyline is that a Stanley Cup championship is the only glaring omission left on his resume. With the way he’s played in the 2014 postseason, that might not be the case for much longer.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 29
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 112
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 80
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (112)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (81)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)