May 21, 2014, 9:57 AM EDT
Two more wins. That’s what New York Rangers goaltender Henrik Lundqvist needs to reach the Stanley Cup Final for the first time in his career.
He’s been this close once before, when the Rangers faced the New Jersey Devils in the 2012 Eastern Conference Final. He doesn’t want a repeat of that six-game series loss.
“You don’t want to sit at the end of the year and feel like you had more to give,” Lundqvist said, per the Toronto Sun. “That’s what I felt a little bit the last time we were in the conference final. We didn’t reach our full potential, and it was extremely disappointing to end the season like that.
“My goal right now is to really try to reach my full potential and inspire teammates and everybody that’s helping us right now to kind of reach that level and see how far it takes us.”
He certainly did that in the Rangers’ 3-1 victory on Monday. He turned aside 40 of 41 shots and even earned the praise of Canadiens coach Michel Therrien.
Nearly three months removed from his 32nd birthday, Lundqvist’s storyline is that a Stanley Cup championship is the only glaring omission left on his resume. With the way he’s played in the 2014 postseason, that might not be the case for much longer.
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 4
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Report: Dal Colle signs with Islanders (Updated) 1
- Bridge built: Blues lock up Schwartz to two-year deal reportedly worth $4.7M 12
- Comedian Will Arnett at Leafs practice 8
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys (28)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)