May 21, 2014, 10:51 PM EDT
Well, this game sure turned in favor of the L.A. Kings in a hurry.
The Kings, trailing 1-0 in the Western Conference Final to the Chicago Blackhawks, were down by a pair of goals in the second period, before exploding for six unanswered in a shocking 6-2 victory to take Game 2 and even the series.
With the Blackhawks looking to increase their lead, L.A.’s goalie Jonathan Quick made a spectacular sprawling pad save off Brent Seabrook in the second period, keeping Chicago’s advantage to just two goals. Wouldn’t you know it, but that stop, one for the highlight reel, was also critical to the Kings comeback.
From the NHL’s Situation Room Blog:
At 18:14 of the second period in the Los Angeles Kings/Chicago Blackhawks game, the Situation Room supported the referee’s call on the ice that Mike Richards‘ centering pass deflected off Justin Williams’ skate and into the Chicago net in a legal fashion. According to Rule 78.4 “if an attacking player has the puck deflect into the net, off his skate or body, in any manner, the goal shall be allowed.” Good goal Los Angeles.
And it was all Kings after that.
The loss ends Chicago’s winning streak on home ice in these playoffs at seven games. The Blackhawks opened the scoring late in the first period on a beautiful backhand goal from Nick Leddy. They upped their lead to two goals when Ben Smith beat Quick on a partial breakaway.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)