May 21, 2014, 10:51 PM EDT
Well, this game sure turned in favor of the L.A. Kings in a hurry.
The Kings, trailing 1-0 in the Western Conference Final to the Chicago Blackhawks, were down by a pair of goals in the second period, before exploding for six unanswered in a shocking 6-2 victory to take Game 2 and even the series.
With the Blackhawks looking to increase their lead, L.A.’s goalie Jonathan Quick made a spectacular sprawling pad save off Brent Seabrook in the second period, keeping Chicago’s advantage to just two goals. Wouldn’t you know it, but that stop, one for the highlight reel, was also critical to the Kings comeback.
From the NHL’s Situation Room Blog:
At 18:14 of the second period in the Los Angeles Kings/Chicago Blackhawks game, the Situation Room supported the referee’s call on the ice that Mike Richards‘ centering pass deflected off Justin Williams’ skate and into the Chicago net in a legal fashion. According to Rule 78.4 “if an attacking player has the puck deflect into the net, off his skate or body, in any manner, the goal shall be allowed.” Good goal Los Angeles.
And it was all Kings after that.
Jeff Carter scored three goals in the third period…tying club postseason record (Tommy Williams did it April 14, 1974 vs. CHI)—
(@LAKingsPR) May 22, 2014
The loss ends Chicago’s winning streak on home ice in these playoffs at seven games. The Blackhawks opened the scoring late in the first period on a beautiful backhand goal from Nick Leddy. They upped their lead to two goals when Ben Smith beat Quick on a partial breakaway.
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabres in franchise history 0
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 4
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 12
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 21
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 25
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 17