May 21, 2014, 10:51 PM EST
Well, this game sure turned in favor of the L.A. Kings in a hurry.
The Kings, trailing 1-0 in the Western Conference Final to the Chicago Blackhawks, were down by a pair of goals in the second period, before exploding for six unanswered in a shocking 6-2 victory to take Game 2 and even the series.
With the Blackhawks looking to increase their lead, L.A.’s goalie Jonathan Quick made a spectacular sprawling pad save off Brent Seabrook in the second period, keeping Chicago’s advantage to just two goals. Wouldn’t you know it, but that stop, one for the highlight reel, was also critical to the Kings comeback.
From the NHL’s Situation Room Blog:
At 18:14 of the second period in the Los Angeles Kings/Chicago Blackhawks game, the Situation Room supported the referee’s call on the ice that Mike Richards‘ centering pass deflected off Justin Williams’ skate and into the Chicago net in a legal fashion. According to Rule 78.4 “if an attacking player has the puck deflect into the net, off his skate or body, in any manner, the goal shall be allowed.” Good goal Los Angeles.
And it was all Kings after that.
The loss ends Chicago’s winning streak on home ice in these playoffs at seven games. The Blackhawks opened the scoring late in the first period on a beautiful backhand goal from Nick Leddy. They upped their lead to two goals when Ben Smith beat Quick on a partial breakaway.
- Cardiac Cats: Panthers win as Reimer, Leafs fade in third 8
- Report: Canes’ Jordan Staal to make season debut Monday 1
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 7
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 8
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 7
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 75
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 4
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2