May 21, 2014, 10:51 PM EDT
Well, this game sure turned in favor of the L.A. Kings in a hurry.
The Kings, trailing 1-0 in the Western Conference Final to the Chicago Blackhawks, were down by a pair of goals in the second period, before exploding for six unanswered in a shocking 6-2 victory to take Game 2 and even the series.
With the Blackhawks looking to increase their lead, L.A.’s goalie Jonathan Quick made a spectacular sprawling pad save off Brent Seabrook in the second period, keeping Chicago’s advantage to just two goals. Wouldn’t you know it, but that stop, one for the highlight reel, was also critical to the Kings comeback.
From the NHL’s Situation Room Blog:
At 18:14 of the second period in the Los Angeles Kings/Chicago Blackhawks game, the Situation Room supported the referee’s call on the ice that Mike Richards‘ centering pass deflected off Justin Williams’ skate and into the Chicago net in a legal fashion. According to Rule 78.4 “if an attacking player has the puck deflect into the net, off his skate or body, in any manner, the goal shall be allowed.” Good goal Los Angeles.
And it was all Kings after that.
The loss ends Chicago’s winning streak on home ice in these playoffs at seven games. The Blackhawks opened the scoring late in the first period on a beautiful backhand goal from Nick Leddy. They upped their lead to two goals when Ben Smith beat Quick on a partial breakaway.
- Watch Live: Capitals at Islanders 0
- Sens turn to Anderson for Game 3 0
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 7
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 60
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 61
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 165
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 16
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 6
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 25
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (165)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)