May 21, 2014, 11:06 PM EDT
The worst kept secret in Vancouver and the hockey world is no longer a secret.
The Canucks made it official Wednesday evening, announcing Jim Benning as the team’s new general manager during an event for season ticket holders. Benning, who comes to Vancouver after spending the last seven years as the Boston Bruins assistant general manager, becomes the 11th GM in Canucks franchise history.
Earlier in the day, it was reported by TSN’s Darren Dreger that Benning and the Canucks had signed a multi-year deal. For weeks, Benning was mentioned as the frontrunner for the job, which became available when the Canucks fired Mike Gillis in April.
“Jim has hockey in his blood and brings outstanding vision, a proven track record in player evaluation, and a passion for team-building to our organization,” Linden wrote to in an email to Canucks’ season ticket holders.
“Jim and I share the same fundamental beliefs about the game and are aligned on how we want to build this team. He’s also a returning member of the Canucks family who proudly wore our sweater for four seasons. He knows our city, our team and our fans.”
Benning will officially be introduced to fans and the media on Friday, beginning at 11:15 a.m. PT.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 11
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 9
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 35
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)