May 21, 2014, 11:06 PM EST
The worst kept secret in Vancouver and the hockey world is no longer a secret.
The Canucks made it official Wednesday evening, announcing Jim Benning as the team’s new general manager during an event for season ticket holders. Benning, who comes to Vancouver after spending the last seven years as the Boston Bruins assistant general manager, becomes the 11th GM in Canucks franchise history.
Earlier in the day, it was reported by TSN’s Darren Dreger that Benning and the Canucks had signed a multi-year deal. For weeks, Benning was mentioned as the frontrunner for the job, which became available when the Canucks fired Mike Gillis in April.
“Jim has hockey in his blood and brings outstanding vision, a proven track record in player evaluation, and a passion for team-building to our organization,” Linden wrote to in an email to Canucks’ season ticket holders.
“Jim and I share the same fundamental beliefs about the game and are aligned on how we want to build this team. He’s also a returning member of the Canucks family who proudly wore our sweater for four seasons. He knows our city, our team and our fans.”
Benning will officially be introduced to fans and the media on Friday, beginning at 11:15 a.m. PT.
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 0
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 2
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 20
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)