May 21, 2014, 11:06 PM EDT
The worst kept secret in Vancouver and the hockey world is no longer a secret.
The Canucks made it official Wednesday evening, announcing Jim Benning as the team’s new general manager during an event for season ticket holders. Benning, who comes to Vancouver after spending the last seven years as the Boston Bruins assistant general manager, becomes the 11th GM in Canucks franchise history.
Earlier in the day, it was reported by TSN’s Darren Dreger that Benning and the Canucks had signed a multi-year deal. For weeks, Benning was mentioned as the frontrunner for the job, which became available when the Canucks fired Mike Gillis in April.
“Jim has hockey in his blood and brings outstanding vision, a proven track record in player evaluation, and a passion for team-building to our organization,” Linden wrote to in an email to Canucks’ season ticket holders.
“Jim and I share the same fundamental beliefs about the game and are aligned on how we want to build this team. He’s also a returning member of the Canucks family who proudly wore our sweater for four seasons. He knows our city, our team and our fans.”
Benning will officially be introduced to fans and the media on Friday, beginning at 11:15 a.m. PT.
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 11
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 36
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 17
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 29
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 18
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)