May 21, 2014, 11:30 PM EST
How does one put that into words?
The Chicago Blackhawks, playing on home ice, were leading the L.A. Kings by a pair of goals late in the second period when the visitors suddenly erupted for six unanswered goals, including five in the third period, in a 6-2 victory to even the Western Conference Final.
Joel Quenneville summed it up, as per Mark Lazerus of the Chicago Sun-Times: “I really liked how we played for 38 minutes. We did everything we were looking to do.”
The coach also added: “The way it turned on a dime like that, I don’t know if we’ve seen a game like that. … It turned into a disaster.”
It started off well enough.
Nick Leddy opened the scoring for Chicago in the first period, as he went top corner on Quick with a beautiful backhander on a partial breakaway – just over a minute after the Blackhawks thought they scored but had the goal waved off when a video review showed the puck never crossed the line.
Ben Smith made it 2-0 Chicago and everything looked good for the defending Stanley Cup champions.
But the Kings, after Justin Williams got them to within a goal before the end of the second period, clicked on the power play in the third. Jeff Carter and Jake Muzzin scored goals on the man advantage less than three minutes apart, and just like that, L.A. was in front as opposed to chasing this one.
Carter recorded the hat trick in the third period.
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 23
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 21
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 66
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (133)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (66)