May 21, 2014, 3:24 PM EDT
That was New York forward Rick Nash, talking today about the “good opportunity” the Rangers have given themselves after winning the first two games of the Eastern Conference Final in Montreal.
When asked how the Rangers can “keep the pedal to the metal as team,” Nash replied: “I think we’ve got to focus on our keys. This whole series so far we’ve had a process that we’re trying to follow, a game plan that [coach Alain Vigneault’s] put out. And we’ve got to follow that. Nothing can change.”
It’s a good question, because keeping the pedal to the metal has been a problem for teams in these playoffs. Whether we’re talking about all the blown leads we’ve seen during games, or the blown series leads (one in particular), it’s clear that a desperate team can be a dangerous team. And the Canadiens are definitely in a desperate situation.
It should also be noted that the Rangers were outplayed for much of Game 2, and it took a 40-save effort from Henrik Lundqvist to get the win.
So really, the question could’ve been, how can New York put the pedal back down to the metal? Because the last thing the Rangers want is to let the Canadiens back into this thing. If this series gets back to Montreal, the Habs will have life.
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 37
- Getting clutch? Capitals reportedly sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 6
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 28
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 39
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 20
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 23
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 39
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 130
- Oilers get Sekera for six years, closing in on Letestu 7
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)