May 21, 2014, 9:45 PM EDT
The Montreal Canadiens don’t have Carey Price. You already knew that. They’ll go back to 24-year-old Dustin Tokarski in Game 3 of the Eastern Conference Final against the New York Rangers. You already knew that, too.
As the Habs suddenly trail 2-0 in the series – the winner earns a berth in the Stanley Cup Final – it appears they’re going to lean on a goalie with now only one post-season game in his National Hockey League career. Do they even have a choice now at this point? (You can have your say in the matter by clicking here.)
In Game 3, Tokarski wasn’t at all bad. New York’s first goal came off a deflection just in front of the Montreal net, and its third goal was a laser shot in the slot from Martin St. Louis. Likely the only goal he would really want back was off the stick of Rick Nash, who fired his one-time shot almost right back into the left arm and chest of Tokarski, who got a piece of the puck but not enough.
It’s indeed a tough spot for Tokarski to be in – in addition to one Stanley Cup post-season start, he’s only played in 10 regular season games in the NHL. But his teammates in Montreal are lending their support behind Tokarski, as the Habs look to somehow get back in this series minus their No. 1 goalie, and one of the best goalies in the entire league.
“I don’t think I’ve ever been through a situation like that, but the kid did well. He’s been skating with the Black Aces for most of the playoffs and he does a job like that,” Habs forward Brandon Prust told reporters.
“That’s why you see they have a lot of trust in him. Even though we don’t know him too well, the organization and the goalie have a lot of trust in him.”
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 21
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 11
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 9
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 18
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 54