May 21, 2014, 2:58 PM EST
Could Russian forward Viktor Tikhonov be on his way back to North America?
According to the Arizona Republic, Coyotes GM Don Maloney has reached out to Tikhonov’s agent to see if the 28th overall pick in 2008 is interested in a return to the NHL.
Tikhonov, 26, scored 16 points in 61 games in his rookie year with Phoenix in ’08-09 — led by then-head coach Wayne Gretzky — but was sent to the minors (along with fellow youngsters) Kyle Turris and Mikkel Boedker) after Gretzky was replaced by Dave Tippett.
In 2011, Tikhonov returned to his native Russia and joined KHL club SKA St. Petersburg, where he’s enjoyed a good amount of success. He scored 18 goals and 34 points in 52 games this year and was named to Russia’s Olympic squad in Sochi, appearing in two games while registering one assist.
Currently, Tikhonov leads the ’14 Worlds in scoring, with 14 points through seven games.
The Russian forward’s last NHL deal came with the Coyotes in 2011-12 — a one-year, $826,875 deal — and he would still technically be an RFA, with Phoenix holding his NHL rights. It’s unclear if Maloney is interested in bringing Tikhonov back to play for Phoenix, or simply getting him back to North America in the hopes of shopping him to another team.
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 18
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 48
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 0
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 4
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 39
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)
- The plummeting Coyotes are threatening to fall below the Oilers into 29th place (55)