May 21, 2014, 2:00 PM EST
The World Hockey Championship has been a tough one, health-wise.
On Wednesday, the Winnipeg Jets released a statement regarding Jacob Trouba‘s neck injury, suffered while playing for Team USA against Latvia last week.
“Following Team USA’s game versus Latvia at the IIHF World Championships in Minsk, Belarus, Jacob experienced some discomfort in his neck. After consultation with the Team USA medical staff and officials, it was determined that he should return to Winnipeg as a precaution due to his previous injury history.
“Jacob flew to Winnipeg this past weekend and met with team doctors for a series of tests which revealed he had sustained a mild neck strain. This will not affect Jacob’s off-season training or preparation for next season’s training camp in any way.”
Trouba, the ninth overall pick at the 2012 NHL Entry Draft, suffered a neck injury earlier in October, one that saw him stretchered off the ice in a game against St. Louis and miss 17 games while on IR.
He returned to have a banner rookie year, however, scoring 10 goals and 29 points in 65 games while averaging over 22 minutes a night.
Trouba’s injury is just the latest suffered by an NHLer at the Worlds. Alex Ovechkin and Alex Burrows both suffered knee injuries, Dmitry Orlov broke his arm, Andrei Loktionov and Roman Polak suffered shoulder injuries, Sven Baertschi broke his ribs and Marc Methot tweaked his back in a warmup game prior to the tournament.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 30
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 3
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 12
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 24
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 51
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)