May 21, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
The World Hockey Championship has been a tough one, health-wise.
On Wednesday, the Winnipeg Jets released a statement regarding Jacob Trouba‘s neck injury, suffered while playing for Team USA against Latvia last week.
“Following Team USA’s game versus Latvia at the IIHF World Championships in Minsk, Belarus, Jacob experienced some discomfort in his neck. After consultation with the Team USA medical staff and officials, it was determined that he should return to Winnipeg as a precaution due to his previous injury history.
“Jacob flew to Winnipeg this past weekend and met with team doctors for a series of tests which revealed he had sustained a mild neck strain. This will not affect Jacob’s off-season training or preparation for next season’s training camp in any way.”
Trouba, the ninth overall pick at the 2012 NHL Entry Draft, suffered a neck injury earlier in October, one that saw him stretchered off the ice in a game against St. Louis and miss 17 games while on IR.
He returned to have a banner rookie year, however, scoring 10 goals and 29 points in 65 games while averaging over 22 minutes a night.
Trouba’s injury is just the latest suffered by an NHLer at the Worlds. Alex Ovechkin and Alex Burrows both suffered knee injuries, Dmitry Orlov broke his arm, Andrei Loktionov and Roman Polak suffered shoulder injuries, Sven Baertschi broke his ribs and Marc Methot tweaked his back in a warmup game prior to the tournament.
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 79
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5
- Wild assistant Sydor arrested for suspected drunk driving, child endangerment 30
- It’s Montreal Canadiens day at PHT 14
- Capitals’ biggest question: Is this finally the year? 32