May 21, 2014, 2:00 PM EST
The World Hockey Championship has been a tough one, health-wise.
On Wednesday, the Winnipeg Jets released a statement regarding Jacob Trouba‘s neck injury, suffered while playing for Team USA against Latvia last week.
“Following Team USA’s game versus Latvia at the IIHF World Championships in Minsk, Belarus, Jacob experienced some discomfort in his neck. After consultation with the Team USA medical staff and officials, it was determined that he should return to Winnipeg as a precaution due to his previous injury history.
“Jacob flew to Winnipeg this past weekend and met with team doctors for a series of tests which revealed he had sustained a mild neck strain. This will not affect Jacob’s off-season training or preparation for next season’s training camp in any way.”
Trouba, the ninth overall pick at the 2012 NHL Entry Draft, suffered a neck injury earlier in October, one that saw him stretchered off the ice in a game against St. Louis and miss 17 games while on IR.
He returned to have a banner rookie year, however, scoring 10 goals and 29 points in 65 games while averaging over 22 minutes a night.
Trouba’s injury is just the latest suffered by an NHLer at the Worlds. Alex Ovechkin and Alex Burrows both suffered knee injuries, Dmitry Orlov broke his arm, Andrei Loktionov and Roman Polak suffered shoulder injuries, Sven Baertschi broke his ribs and Marc Methot tweaked his back in a warmup game prior to the tournament.
- Video: Canucks honor Quinn with “O Danny Boy” 7
- Video: Stars’ Klingberg scores from center ice 4
- Report: Alfredsson retirement to be announced Dec. 4 8
- On the odds of fighting back after Thanksgiving 7
- Why are the Oilers still bad? Look at their drafting 21
- The Leafs are worth almost seven times the Panthers, says Forbes 20
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? 43
- Crosby, Malkin power Penguins, help Fleury grab 300th win 7
- Sooner than later? Bruins GM hopes Chara can return in 10-14 days 1
- With worst save percentage in NHL, Oilers fire goalie coach 22
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)