May 21, 2014, 12:55 PM EDT
On Monday, we listed five places Ryan Miller could potentially sign as an unrestricted free agent, now that St. Louis is no longer an option for the 33-year-old goalie. Our list included Anaheim, San Jose, Vancouver, Minnesota, and Pittsburgh, with Washington receiving an honorary mention.
Today, Miller’s agent, ex-goalie Mike Liut, told News 1130 in Vancouver that his client wants to win a Stanley Cup, something Miller’s yet to do, so expect that to factor into his decision-making process.
Liut also confirmed the Canucks as an option (cue the “But doesn’t he want to win the Cup?” comments), noting that soon-to-be-announced general manager Jim Benning, formerly the director of amateur scouting in Buffalo, was responsible for drafting Miller, way back in 1999.
That said, we’re still keeping Anaheim as the favorite. As we wrote Monday…
It’s been widely speculated that Miller wants to play in California in order to be closer to his actress wife, Noureen DeWulf. It’s also thought Miller is open to signing a shorter-term contract, which could allow John Gibson, 20, more time to develop before he becomes a full-time starter in the NHL. Anaheim could also fetch an asset by trading Frederik Andersen, if it does decide to bid adieu to Jonas Hiller and bring in another veteran stopper.
Oh, and given what Chuck Fletcher had to say about his already-crowded goaltending situation, we’re tempted to cross the Wild off the list.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 23
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 108
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 78
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (110)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (79)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)