May 21, 2014, 12:55 PM EDT
On Monday, we listed five places Ryan Miller could potentially sign as an unrestricted free agent, now that St. Louis is no longer an option for the 33-year-old goalie. Our list included Anaheim, San Jose, Vancouver, Minnesota, and Pittsburgh, with Washington receiving an honorary mention.
Today, Miller’s agent, ex-goalie Mike Liut, told News 1130 in Vancouver that his client wants to win a Stanley Cup, something Miller’s yet to do, so expect that to factor into his decision-making process.
Liut also confirmed the Canucks as an option (cue the “But doesn’t he want to win the Cup?” comments), noting that soon-to-be-announced general manager Jim Benning, formerly the director of amateur scouting in Buffalo, was responsible for drafting Miller, way back in 1999.
That said, we’re still keeping Anaheim as the favorite. As we wrote Monday…
It’s been widely speculated that Miller wants to play in California in order to be closer to his actress wife, Noureen DeWulf. It’s also thought Miller is open to signing a shorter-term contract, which could allow John Gibson, 20, more time to develop before he becomes a full-time starter in the NHL. Anaheim could also fetch an asset by trading Frederik Andersen, if it does decide to bid adieu to Jonas Hiller and bring in another veteran stopper.
Oh, and given what Chuck Fletcher had to say about his already-crowded goaltending situation, we’re tempted to cross the Wild off the list.
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 11
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 56
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (62)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)