May 21, 2014, 12:55 PM EDT
On Monday, we listed five places Ryan Miller could potentially sign as an unrestricted free agent, now that St. Louis is no longer an option for the 33-year-old goalie. Our list included Anaheim, San Jose, Vancouver, Minnesota, and Pittsburgh, with Washington receiving an honorary mention.
Today, Miller’s agent, ex-goalie Mike Liut, told News 1130 in Vancouver that his client wants to win a Stanley Cup, something Miller’s yet to do, so expect that to factor into his decision-making process.
Liut also confirmed the Canucks as an option (cue the “But doesn’t he want to win the Cup?” comments), noting that soon-to-be-announced general manager Jim Benning, formerly the director of amateur scouting in Buffalo, was responsible for drafting Miller, way back in 1999.
That said, we’re still keeping Anaheim as the favorite. As we wrote Monday…
It’s been widely speculated that Miller wants to play in California in order to be closer to his actress wife, Noureen DeWulf. It’s also thought Miller is open to signing a shorter-term contract, which could allow John Gibson, 20, more time to develop before he becomes a full-time starter in the NHL. Anaheim could also fetch an asset by trading Frederik Andersen, if it does decide to bid adieu to Jonas Hiller and bring in another veteran stopper.
Oh, and given what Chuck Fletcher had to say about his already-crowded goaltending situation, we’re tempted to cross the Wild off the list.
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 9
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 18
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 5
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 27
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 76
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 51
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)