May 21, 2014, 12:55 PM EST
On Monday, we listed five places Ryan Miller could potentially sign as an unrestricted free agent, now that St. Louis is no longer an option for the 33-year-old goalie. Our list included Anaheim, San Jose, Vancouver, Minnesota, and Pittsburgh, with Washington receiving an honorary mention.
Today, Miller’s agent, ex-goalie Mike Liut, told News 1130 in Vancouver that his client wants to win a Stanley Cup, something Miller’s yet to do, so expect that to factor into his decision-making process.
Liut also confirmed the Canucks as an option (cue the “But doesn’t he want to win the Cup?” comments), noting that soon-to-be-announced general manager Jim Benning, formerly the director of amateur scouting in Buffalo, was responsible for drafting Miller, way back in 1999.
That said, we’re still keeping Anaheim as the favorite. As we wrote Monday…
It’s been widely speculated that Miller wants to play in California in order to be closer to his actress wife, Noureen DeWulf. It’s also thought Miller is open to signing a shorter-term contract, which could allow John Gibson, 20, more time to develop before he becomes a full-time starter in the NHL. Anaheim could also fetch an asset by trading Frederik Andersen, if it does decide to bid adieu to Jonas Hiller and bring in another veteran stopper.
Oh, and given what Chuck Fletcher had to say about his already-crowded goaltending situation, we’re tempted to cross the Wild off the list.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 22
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (73)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (42)