May 21, 2014, 12:55 PM EDT
On Monday, we listed five places Ryan Miller could potentially sign as an unrestricted free agent, now that St. Louis is no longer an option for the 33-year-old goalie. Our list included Anaheim, San Jose, Vancouver, Minnesota, and Pittsburgh, with Washington receiving an honorary mention.
Today, Miller’s agent, ex-goalie Mike Liut, told News 1130 in Vancouver that his client wants to win a Stanley Cup, something Miller’s yet to do, so expect that to factor into his decision-making process.
Liut also confirmed the Canucks as an option (cue the “But doesn’t he want to win the Cup?” comments), noting that soon-to-be-announced general manager Jim Benning, formerly the director of amateur scouting in Buffalo, was responsible for drafting Miller, way back in 1999.
That said, we’re still keeping Anaheim as the favorite. As we wrote Monday…
It’s been widely speculated that Miller wants to play in California in order to be closer to his actress wife, Noureen DeWulf. It’s also thought Miller is open to signing a shorter-term contract, which could allow John Gibson, 20, more time to develop before he becomes a full-time starter in the NHL. Anaheim could also fetch an asset by trading Frederik Andersen, if it does decide to bid adieu to Jonas Hiller and bring in another veteran stopper.
Oh, and given what Chuck Fletcher had to say about his already-crowded goaltending situation, we’re tempted to cross the Wild off the list.
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 22
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 12
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 9
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 18
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 54