May 20, 2014, 4:19 PM EDT
Darryl Sutter has long been a fan of Jonathan Toews — last year, Sutter called him the best captain in hockey not named Dustin Brown — but on Tuesday, the Kings head coach took his admiration to new heights.
From the NHL:
Q. Why do you think the Toews line was successful against your top line defensively in Game 1?
COACH SUTTER: They’re a great line. Jonathan Toews, he is the best two-way player in the National Hockey League. Hossa is right there next in terms of wingers. That’s for sure.
It’s an interesting comment, mostly because Sutter coaches one of the NHL’s best two-way players in Anze Kopitar. In fact, Kopitar cemented his status three weeks ago by earning his first-ever Selke nomination as the NHL’s top defensive forward; the big Slovenian appeared in all 82 games this year and finished second to Sidney Crosby in terms of minutes logged by a forward, logging more shorthanded time than any of the NHL’s top-30 scorers while winning 53.3 percent of his faceoffs.
Kopitar’s also been outstanding this postseason, leading all scorers with 19 points through 15 games.
That said, there’s no denying Toews’ place in the conversation of best two-way players. He’s the reigning Selke winner and has been a finalist three times over the last four years, including this season.
Oh, and then there are Toews’ unparalleled leadership skills. Just ask Kopitar’s coach about those.
“Jonathan impacts their locker room, maybe more so than his on-ice performance,” Sutter said last year, per the Chicago Daily Herald. “Just what he brings them.
“He is the consummate player.”
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 45
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 24
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 11
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)