May 20, 2014, 10:41 PM EDT
The Ottawa Senators hope to keep forward Stephane Da Costa in the mix, but his status as a restricted free agent doesn’t make him that much easier to keep him in the fold.
Senators assistant GM Pierre Dorion told TSN 1280 that Da Costa (pictured representing France) is also being wooed by the KHL, and from the sound of things, there might be more lucrative offers overseas. The Press & Sun-Bulletin’s Max Weinstein transcribed some key quotes from that interview:
“We’d like to keep him but it has to make sense for both parties,” Dorion said. “It’s no secret that the KHL is offering him big money and it’s up to Steph if he wants to pursue his NHL dream or not. I think we’ve made a very fair offer. (Ottawa general manager Brian Murray) feels that way, I feel that way, I think his agent feels it’s a fair offer and we’ll just see where we go from there.”
Da Costa, 24, hasn’t made a huge impact at the NHL level (four points in 12 games this season; 11 in 47 career NHL games spread over four campaigns), yet he’s had a great tournament for France at the 2014 World Hockey Championship so far. His nine points in seven games matches the efforts of Alex Ovechkin, Seth Jones and Joel Ward in this tournament, helping France finish in the top eight.
While the likelihood of a big offer sheet is slim to none, a KHL team could indeed put forth an offer that Da Costa couldn’t refuse.
In other interesting Senators contract considerations, Dorion indicates that the haggling with backup/1B goalie Robin Lehner could very well take a while.
“There are a few different scenarios,” Dorion said. “We made two types of offers to Robin without getting into too many details. They came back with three types of offers. It’s not a contract that will be done tomorrow.”
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 21
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 26
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 20
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)