May 20, 2014, 10:41 PM EST
The Ottawa Senators hope to keep forward Stephane Da Costa in the mix, but his status as a restricted free agent doesn’t make him that much easier to keep him in the fold.
Senators assistant GM Pierre Dorion told TSN 1280 that Da Costa (pictured representing France) is also being wooed by the KHL, and from the sound of things, there might be more lucrative offers overseas. The Press & Sun-Bulletin’s Max Weinstein transcribed some key quotes from that interview:
“We’d like to keep him but it has to make sense for both parties,” Dorion said. “It’s no secret that the KHL is offering him big money and it’s up to Steph if he wants to pursue his NHL dream or not. I think we’ve made a very fair offer. (Ottawa general manager Brian Murray) feels that way, I feel that way, I think his agent feels it’s a fair offer and we’ll just see where we go from there.”
Da Costa, 24, hasn’t made a huge impact at the NHL level (four points in 12 games this season; 11 in 47 career NHL games spread over four campaigns), yet he’s had a great tournament for France at the 2014 World Hockey Championship so far. His nine points in seven games matches the efforts of Alex Ovechkin, Seth Jones and Joel Ward in this tournament, helping France finish in the top eight.
While the likelihood of a big offer sheet is slim to none, a KHL team could indeed put forth an offer that Da Costa couldn’t refuse.
In other interesting Senators contract considerations, Dorion indicates that the haggling with backup/1B goalie Robin Lehner could very well take a while.
“There are a few different scenarios,” Dorion said. “We made two types of offers to Robin without getting into too many details. They came back with three types of offers. It’s not a contract that will be done tomorrow.”
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 15
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 16
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 65
- Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 17
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 16
- Video: Avs’ Tanguay takes Ovechkin shot to the face (Updated) 4
- Video: Lindros and LeClair inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 12
- BREAKING: Voynov charged with felony for domestic violence 34
- NHL responds to concussion lawsuit, says players should have ‘put two and two together’ 40
- (Video) PHT Extra: Carlyle’s on the hot seat, Hartley’s riding high 0
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (65)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)
- Video: Malkin runs over Girardi (Updated) (41)