May 20, 2014, 10:52 AM EDT
Vancouver’s new general manager search will reportedly come to an end this week.
Boston assistant GM Jim Benning will be named as the Canucks’ new man in charge, according to TSN’s Darren Dreger. The news comes more than six weeks after the club dismissed Mike Gillis as GM and hired franchise legend Trevor Linden as president of hockey operations.
The Benning hire makes sense on a number of fronts. One, he and Linden spent five years playing together in Vancouver and the move would continue in the theme of bringing ex-Canucks into the managerial fold. Two, Benning has the scouting experience and acumen Linden is reportedly seeking in a new GM — prior to joining the Bruins, he had great success as the head of amateur scouting in Buffalo, selecting the likes of Ryan Miller, Jason Pominville, Derek Roy, Paul Gaustad, Daniel Paille and Dennis Wideman.
Per the Bruins website, Benning has assisted GM Peter Chiarelli in a number of areas since taking the post in 2007, advising on player evaluation, trades and free agent signings.
Assuming Benning is released in time for the draft, he’ll have plenty of work to do. Vancouver has almost all of its picks this year, including the sixth overall selection.
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 9
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 4
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 20
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 91
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 10
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 16
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 17
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 35
- Weber out for remainder of series, but ‘did not suffer an ACL injury’ 6
- Report: Oilers’ Lowe removed from Hockey Ops role 19
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (93)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (89)