May 20, 2014, 12:50 PM EDT
Let’s just get right to the numbers.
Here’s how John Tortorella deployed his defense in 2012, when the Rangers went to Eastern Conference Final and lost to the Devils:
Related PHT post from that time: Do the Rangers look tired to you?
Now, here’s how Alain Vigneault is deploying his defense in these playoffs:
Notice a difference?
Related PHT post from last week: Rangers coach says his team is fresh despite two seven-game series
Despite constant questioning on the topic, Tortorella never bought the notion that he played his top players too much. In fact, after the lockout ended in 2013, he said he planned to “play the hell out of” Girardi and McDonagh. And true to his word, he did. And after he was fired by the Rangers and hired by the Canucks, he played the hell out of Vancouver’s top players, garnering particularly poor results compared to their time under Vigneault, who didn’t have them on the ice so much.
Look, we’re not trying to pile on Tortorella here — he’s won a Stanley Cup as a coach; Vigneault still hasn’t — but the current Rangers, even with that “stupid schedule,” don’t appear anywhere close to running out of gas, and that couldn’t be said two years ago.
Granted, it’s possible New York just has more depth now, and Vigneault is the lucky recipient of that. But there’s a distinct philosophical difference there — one guy plays the hell out of his top players, the other doesn’t.
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 7
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 13
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 27
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 16
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 8
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)