May 20, 2014, 11:29 PM EDT
It’s plausible that Alain Vigneault burnt some bridges or at least left some hard feelings behind during his times in Vancouver, yet at least one Canucks player seems to be on his side. Kevin Bieksa told the Canadian Press that he’s pulling for the ex-Canucks coach as he sits two wins from a Stanley Cup Final appearance with the New York Rangers.
“For Alain, I’m happy for him that he got back there so quickly,” Bieksa said. “He’s a good coach and he’s obviously been there before and he took us there. We had a lot of really good years together. Absolutely we’re cheering for him and hope they do well.”
“We” could mean any number of Canucks, as Jason Garrison said, “If anything, we’re jealous.”
(Bieksa denied his own feelings of jealousy, if nothing else.)
Whatever the case may be, it does at least imply yet another contrast with Rangers-turned-Canucks coach John Tortorella.* From Brad Richards to Brandon Dubinsky, it seemed as if Torts experienced strained relationships with a notable number of players in New York.
Sometimes that’s just about people going on the record to slam or praise someone while that doesn’t represent the entire locker room, but if nothing else, it sounds like Bieksa still has plenty of respect for his former coach.
* – Whether it makes you cringe or not, the fact that they basically traded jobs last season means they’ll probably be compared for years. Even if Tortorella might not have the same chance to prove his side of the argument.
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 23
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 46
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 20
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 85
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 18
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 15
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 13
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 47
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 5
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (87)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)