May 19, 2014, 6:19 PM EDT
After four years with San Jose’s AHL affiliate in Worcester, Harri Sateri is heading to Russia.
The Sharks farmhand has agreed to a deal with KHL club Vityaz Podolsk, per the league website. Sateri, 24, was San Jose’s fourth-round pick (106th overall) at the 2008 NHL Entry Draft and spent this past season in Worcester after losing out on the gig as Antti Niemi’s backup to Alex Stalock in the preseason.
Stalock, of course, went onto appear in a career-high 24 games this season and briefly replaced Niemi in the playoffs, starting Game 6 of the club’s first-round collapse against the Kings.
While losing a third-string goalie that never played at the NHL level won’t shake the club to its core, Sateri’s departure really doesn’t help San Jose’s uncertainty in goal. Niemi is no sure thing to return for next season, especially after GM Doug Wilson suggested roster changes would be in store, and it’s unclear if the organization sees Stalock as a legitimate No. 1, given he turns 27 in July and only has 27 games of NHL experience on his resume.
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 3
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 26
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 42
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)