May 19, 2014, 6:19 PM EDT
After four years with San Jose’s AHL affiliate in Worcester, Harri Sateri is heading to Russia.
The Sharks farmhand has agreed to a deal with KHL club Vityaz Podolsk, per the league website. Sateri, 24, was San Jose’s fourth-round pick (106th overall) at the 2008 NHL Entry Draft and spent this past season in Worcester after losing out on the gig as Antti Niemi’s backup to Alex Stalock in the preseason.
Stalock, of course, went onto appear in a career-high 24 games this season and briefly replaced Niemi in the playoffs, starting Game 6 of the club’s first-round collapse against the Kings.
While losing a third-string goalie that never played at the NHL level won’t shake the club to its core, Sateri’s departure really doesn’t help San Jose’s uncertainty in goal. Niemi is no sure thing to return for next season, especially after GM Doug Wilson suggested roster changes would be in store, and it’s unclear if the organization sees Stalock as a legitimate No. 1, given he turns 27 in July and only has 27 games of NHL experience on his resume.
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 0
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 14
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 13
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 51
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (173)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)