May 19, 2014, 6:19 PM EDT
After four years with San Jose’s AHL affiliate in Worcester, Harri Sateri is heading to Russia.
The Sharks farmhand has agreed to a deal with KHL club Vityaz Podolsk, per the league website. Sateri, 24, was San Jose’s fourth-round pick (106th overall) at the 2008 NHL Entry Draft and spent this past season in Worcester after losing out on the gig as Antti Niemi’s backup to Alex Stalock in the preseason.
Stalock, of course, went onto appear in a career-high 24 games this season and briefly replaced Niemi in the playoffs, starting Game 6 of the club’s first-round collapse against the Kings.
While losing a third-string goalie that never played at the NHL level won’t shake the club to its core, Sateri’s departure really doesn’t help San Jose’s uncertainty in goal. Niemi is no sure thing to return for next season, especially after GM Doug Wilson suggested roster changes would be in store, and it’s unclear if the organization sees Stalock as a legitimate No. 1, given he turns 27 in July and only has 27 games of NHL experience on his resume.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 10
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 107
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 77
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (108)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (78)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)