May 19, 2014, 6:19 PM EDT
After four years with San Jose’s AHL affiliate in Worcester, Harri Sateri is heading to Russia.
The Sharks farmhand has agreed to a deal with KHL club Vityaz Podolsk, per the league website. Sateri, 24, was San Jose’s fourth-round pick (106th overall) at the 2008 NHL Entry Draft and spent this past season in Worcester after losing out on the gig as Antti Niemi’s backup to Alex Stalock in the preseason.
Stalock, of course, went onto appear in a career-high 24 games this season and briefly replaced Niemi in the playoffs, starting Game 6 of the club’s first-round collapse against the Kings.
While losing a third-string goalie that never played at the NHL level won’t shake the club to its core, Sateri’s departure really doesn’t help San Jose’s uncertainty in goal. Niemi is no sure thing to return for next season, especially after GM Doug Wilson suggested roster changes would be in store, and it’s unclear if the organization sees Stalock as a legitimate No. 1, given he turns 27 in July and only has 27 games of NHL experience on his resume.
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 9
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 18
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 36
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 13
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 125
- Oilers get Sekera for six years, closing in on Letestu 7
- Avalanche sign veteran d-man Beauchemin for three years 6
- Neely was ‘surprised’ that Hamilton didn’t want to sign with Bruins 15
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 32
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (125)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)