May 19, 2014, 5:15 PM EDT
“I’ll take a couple of weeks to decide [on my future]. Get away for a little bit and then take it from there.”
Koivu is a pending unrestricted free agent. The 39-year-old forward had 11 goals and 18 assists in 65 regular-season games, but only one assist in 13 playoff games.
In Anaheim’s Game 7 loss to Los Angeles, Koivu logged just 6:37 of playing time.
“I thought Game 4 and Game 5, he was as good as we had at center,” said Ducks coach Bruce Boudreau. “His ice time went down when we needed a goal.”
Boudreau added: “He’d win faceoffs, he would compete, he would do a great job. I don’t know what the plans are for him, what his mindset is or what [general manager Bob Murray's] mindset towards him is. It’s just one of those things you wait out and see.”
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 16
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 4
- Wang sells Isles to ex-Caps owner Ledecky 41
- Report: MLSE CEO Leiweke to step down (Update: Leiweke denies move) 5
- Report: Bertuzzi-Moore case settled out of court (Update: Bertuzzi’s lawyer confirms) 34
- Poll: Will Washington get back into the playoffs? 28
- Buffalo lands next two NHL scouting combines 23
- Under Pressure: In Washington? Take your pick 24
- It’s Washington Capitals day on PHT 42
- It’s Florida Panthers day on PHT 8