May 19, 2014, 5:15 PM EDT
“I’ll take a couple of weeks to decide [on my future]. Get away for a little bit and then take it from there.”
Koivu is a pending unrestricted free agent. The 39-year-old forward had 11 goals and 18 assists in 65 regular-season games, but only one assist in 13 playoff games.
In Anaheim’s Game 7 loss to Los Angeles, Koivu logged just 6:37 of playing time.
“I thought Game 4 and Game 5, he was as good as we had at center,” said Ducks coach Bruce Boudreau. “His ice time went down when we needed a goal.”
Boudreau added: “He’d win faceoffs, he would compete, he would do a great job. I don’t know what the plans are for him, what his mindset is or what [general manager Bob Murray’s] mindset towards him is. It’s just one of those things you wait out and see.”
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 17
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 21
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 23
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 93
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5