May 19, 2014, 4:30 PM EST
From Montreal Canadiens reporter Eric Engels:
And since echoed by Renaud Lavoie of TVA Sports:
In case you just woke up or something, Carey Price is hurt and the Habs say he’ll miss the rest of the Eastern Conference Final. Hence, the big decision for coach Michel Therrien.
Therrien has two options to replace Price — regular back-up Peter Budaj, or 24-year-old Dustin Tokarski, who’s only started seven NHL games in his career, but shut out the Sabres in his last appearance for Montreal on March 16.
Tokarski has also won the Memorial Cup, as a member of the 2008 Spokane Chiefs; he’s won gold for Canada, at the World Juniors in 2009; and he’s won the Calder Cup, in 2012 with the Norfolk Admirals.
Budaj, meanwhile, was not particularly impressive during the regular season (10-8-3, .909 save percentage) and allowed three goals on eight Rangers shots in relief of Price in Game 1.
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 34
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 49
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 58
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)