May 19, 2014, 4:30 PM EDT
From Montreal Canadiens reporter Eric Engels:
And since echoed by Renaud Lavoie of TVA Sports:
In case you just woke up or something, Carey Price is hurt and the Habs say he’ll miss the rest of the Eastern Conference Final. Hence, the big decision for coach Michel Therrien.
Therrien has two options to replace Price — regular back-up Peter Budaj, or 24-year-old Dustin Tokarski, who’s only started seven NHL games in his career, but shut out the Sabres in his last appearance for Montreal on March 16.
Tokarski has also won the Memorial Cup, as a member of the 2008 Spokane Chiefs; he’s won gold for Canada, at the World Juniors in 2009; and he’s won the Calder Cup, in 2012 with the Norfolk Admirals.
Budaj, meanwhile, was not particularly impressive during the regular season (10-8-3, .909 save percentage) and allowed three goals on eight Rangers shots in relief of Price in Game 1.
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 0
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 8
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 23
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 82
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)