Kreider wishes he scored instead of injuring Price

May 19, 2014, 1:12 PM EDT

Canadiens coach Michel Therrien called Chris Kreider‘s charge to the net a “reckless play” and Montreal lost starting goaltender Carey Price for the rest of the series as a result.

Kreider’s doesn’t agree with Therrien’s assessment, but he does wish things had turned out differently.

“I look back on it and think I wish I would’ve put it in the net,” Kreider said, per the Star-Ledger. “Obviously I was trying to score a goal. I put it wide. It was a bang-bang play. Everything happened pretty quickly.”

You watch see the play below:

The 23-year-old forward doesn’t think he’ll be targeted by the Canadiens as retribution for Price’s injury. Rangers coach Alain Vigneault didn’t want to make such a prediction.

“I can’t speak for how they’re going to react,” Vigneault said. “I can just tell you how we’re going to play. Kreider is a good player, an honest player like the rest of our team. We play a straight-forward game, whistle to whistle and that’s not going to change tonight.”

When asked, Therrien made it clear that the Canadiens had to focus on the Rangers as a team rather than Kreider. After all, as big as this setback is for the Canadiens, they are still within striking distance of the Stanley Cup Final. Who knows when they’ll get an opportunity like this again.

1. bruinpred - May 19, 2014 at 1:27 PM

The Canadians requested some RCMPs to skate on horses during the pre-game to investigate and maybe arrest a few Rangers.

• peepeehead - May 19, 2014 at 2:41 PM

I would worry about the HORSE SHlT on the ice! But then again, with Montreal playing you probably wouldn’t be able to tell the difference…

• charlie24zz - May 19, 2014 at 3:53 PM

Man, you guys are idiots. Real sweet jokes there

2. gallyhatch - May 19, 2014 at 1:33 PM

I think it’s Lundquist that will have a bullseye on him tonight, not Kreider.

• joey4id - May 19, 2014 at 1:57 PM

Regardless of the injury to Price, if you want to beat a goalie of Lundqvist’s caliber you do it by throwing bodies and pucks at the Rangers’ net. So, yes! Habs need to go hard to the net, but they have to stay within the limits of the rules. Otherwise they’ll spend the evening on the PK. Both teams will be warned by league officials before the game to thread carefully.

Many players prefer to play on the perimeters. Ex: Vanek Players like Gallagher, Weise, Prust, Bornival, are at the types of players who can be effective when going hard to the net.

• crushed49 - May 19, 2014 at 5:41 PM

Oh, that’s right! Only the rangers can crash the net without worries or concerns of penalties!

• joey4id - May 19, 2014 at 5:52 PM

Is that what I said?

• peepeehead - May 19, 2014 at 2:36 PM

If that happens the Godfather will send Luca Brasi to kiII Therrien and his entire family.

• nyr4lfe9920 - May 19, 2014 at 2:50 PM

your clueless

• joey4id - May 19, 2014 at 5:51 PM

gallyhatch, I think you were the one who was concerned about a riot breaking in Montreal after fans filled the Bell Center to view game 7 vs the Bruins. Anyway! I’m more concerned about a riot today breaking out if the Habs lose because of what happened to Price.

3. joey4id - May 19, 2014 at 1:34 PM

Players have been going hard to the net since the NHL went from steal pegs to flexible pegs. The risk of injury has been substantially decreased with the use of flexible pegs, though not completely eliminated as made evident by the injury to Price and Stamkos earlier this year.

Chris Kreider took a serious hack on the right leg from Emelin, which appears to have thrown him off stride and caused him to lose his balance and crash into Price.

4. homerx - May 19, 2014 at 1:37 PM

This is comical. After the game he stated he did not feel it was intentional and now he changes his tune. I think it’s clear, watch the replay and Kreider clearly took a stick to the skate which started the domino effect.

5. kingme30 - May 19, 2014 at 1:47 PM

I’ve never seen a more desperate attempt to fire up an emotionally drained team than with what Therrien is trying to do here. So Pathetic.

6. njadvocate111 - May 19, 2014 at 1:50 PM

This is a joke. If that was Gallagher or Bourque, there probably would have been a penalty called on the play. A slash on Weise, or Emelin leaving his feet to make no play on the puck. Don’t really understand what was reckless about getting taken down from behind on a breakaway from the blue line in.

7. billiam55 - May 19, 2014 at 2:19 PM

blame canadiens defenseman for tripping him and causing the collision. theres no way to have NOT run into price at the speed kreider was going. i do however wish price the best recovery.

8. bbk1000 - May 19, 2014 at 2:27 PM

They hacked at him and he fell….end of story.

• laxman9000 - May 19, 2014 at 2:46 PM

Agree 100%, if you look at the replay Emelin’s stick wraps half way around Kreider’s right skate which after the contact was made Kreider is unable to regain control of the blade on the ice. He is trying to get a shot off on one skate and either stop or turn. If he would have gone down easily what would we be hearing?? The kid is trying to make an impact in the biggest game of his career. I feel bad for Price but Therrien should have thought twice before coming out and making the comments he did.

• bbk1000 - May 19, 2014 at 3:01 PM

I’m with you on that…

If they were playing the Pens he probably would have been nailed with an embellishment penalty…in some way I feel lucky….

9. peepeehead - May 19, 2014 at 2:33 PM

I only have one thing to say about Kreider; MVP!!!, MVP!!!, MVP!!!, MVP!!!

10. homerx - May 19, 2014 at 2:43 PM

The sad part about this is that should the Rangers win the series it will be because Price did not play, not because they are licking on all cylinders right now.

• bbk1000 - May 19, 2014 at 3:09 PM

Licking cylinders????

I’m not liking the way that sounds….haha

• homerx - May 19, 2014 at 3:15 PM

Awesome, obviously meant to type clicking. LOL.

• bbk1000 - May 19, 2014 at 3:18 PM

haha, yea, understood, it just made me laugh….

I have wished for an edit button a number of times…..

• peepeehead - May 19, 2014 at 7:53 PM

Go suck a spark plug.

11. petersteelewannabe - May 19, 2014 at 3:00 PM

“Kreider is a good player, an honest player like the rest of our team. “…I guess if Carcillo isn’t dressing, he isn’t part of the team?

• chip56 - May 19, 2014 at 5:00 PM

Carcillo has been a model citizen for the Rangers.

12. arbruins - May 19, 2014 at 3:21 PM

The canadiens are a bunch of whining cry baby’s anyhow. Shut it Therrien

• charlie24zz - May 19, 2014 at 3:55 PM

F*** you loser, I would love for you to come up to Montreal so we could whoop your ass

• gino97 - May 19, 2014 at 4:02 PM

HAHAHA

• chip56 - May 19, 2014 at 5:02 PM

You all need to go hash this out over some poutine.

• elrock7 - May 19, 2014 at 5:28 PM

Yeah we will come to Montreal to watch your own fans destroy your own city! Like usual.

• manninghasnt1sincespygate - May 19, 2014 at 8:08 PM

K tough guy.

• bbk1000 - May 21, 2014 at 4:48 PM

Nice name, Manning may be true, although I think he won it the same year as the scandal, not the same season I think….

Brady….on the other hand, on the team that actually benefited from cheating, hasn’t won squat since then……..

Maurice Richard was the greatest goalie I’ve ever seen…

13. charlie24zz - May 19, 2014 at 4:03 PM

Is there a way to get your contact information too gino?

14. theskinsman - May 19, 2014 at 4:16 PM

Internet tough guys are so scary. Habs got destroyed WITH Price in the net. Cheap hack by habs caused the fall and collision. No call, as usual. Therrian knows it’s all over, is almost hysterical trying for early sympathy. How about just playing your best and if you get the breaks,calls and bounces of the puck you win, if you don’t….WHINE as usual.

15. mrd5c - May 19, 2014 at 5:09 PM

This series is by no means over. You’ve gotta win four. Rangers win the first. Goalie issues. Anything can happen. This Tokarski kid might be the real deal. Therrien sure thinks he gives them the best chance and maybe he will. I’d love to see my Rangers win it in four or five, but history tells me they always make it hard on themselves. They can’t seem to win to extend series leads. I hope tonight is different. Go Rangers!

16. drewsylvania - May 19, 2014 at 6:06 PM

Seriously, what kind of propaganda do they spew in Montreal that leads to Hab fans being this clueless? Are they searching for the “real killers” now that OJ is in prison?

17. bleedrangerblue - May 19, 2014 at 6:13 PM

Habs fans have a Molson and watch the replay. Watch. He was hacked throwing off his stride. Please you Canucks can’t be this blind…

• drewsylvania - May 19, 2014 at 6:48 PM

Welcome to the unbelievable BS that we Bruins fans have to put up with all the time.

18. homieshome - May 20, 2014 at 2:41 AM

Lets Go Rangers!!
    “Wahhh Wahhh Wahhhh kreider wahhh wahh wahh call 911 wahh wahh wahhh payback”. -MTL fans

Bettman hears the boos in Philly
Top 10 NHL Player Searches