May 19, 2014, 11:12 AM EDT
OK fine, you can laugh a bit. But not too hard, because while Scott Howson’s time as general manager of the Columbus Blue Jackets was widely considered just that — laughable — some of his moves are looking considerably better with time.
(By the way, this post stems from a report by Hockey Night in Canada’s Elliotte Friedman that Howson, currently in the Oilers’ front office, was recently in Vancouver to interview for the vacant GM position there.)
For me, Howson’s biggest mistake with the Jackets was rolling the dice with Steve Mason in goal. But to be fair, Howson did eventually solve the team’s goaltending issues by getting Sergei Bobrovsky out of Philadelphia. He just solved it way too late.
Howson also drafted Ryan Johansen with the fourth overall pick in 2010, and perhaps more significantly for his potential candidacy with Vancouver (read this), had some later-round successes with the likes of Boone Jenner, David Savard, Matt Calvert and Cam Atkinson.
Having said all that, selling Howson to Vancouver hockey fans (translation: the people who buy the tickets) could be a challenge. His brand was badly damaged during his time in Columbus, and the Canucks are already a damaged brand themselves.
- Lightning ‘answer the challenge’ in Game 7 to reach Stanley Cup Final 2
- Vigneault: McDonagh was playing with a broken foot 12
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers 63
- The Ducks got Kesler for a game like Saturday’s 31
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 54
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 13
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 46
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 18
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 10
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (77)
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers (67)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)