May 19, 2014, 10:40 AM EDT
The Philadelphia Flyers under former GM Paul Holmgren were nothing if not bold. He was always ready to make a blockbuster trade or risky signing.
That era might have ended with Ron Hextall ascension to Holmgren’s former position.
“Sometimes you just have to wait for things to come to fruition,” Hextall told the Philadelphia Inquirer. “On the other hand, there are times you have to look out there for something to make your team better, but I think for the most part I’ll be patient in this job.”
This summer is likely to be the first example of that as Hextall plans to enter the 2014-15 campaign with largely the same team that lost to the New York Rangers in the first round of the playoffs.
“I like our team, like our youth up front,” Hextall said. “I like a lot of things. In saying that, there are a few things we have to take a peek at. But I’m not expecting anything earth-shattering right now.”
At this point, it looks like Hextall’s biggest goal is the sign a left winger and there are some noteworthy ones that might hit the unrestricted free agent market, like Thomas Vanek and Matt Moulson. That being said, Hextall specified that he’s looking for left wingers in general rather than someone capable of playing alongside Claude Giroux. That might be a nod to the Flyers’ cap situation, as they would probably need to make a trade to fit a guy like Vanek or Moulson under the cap.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 0
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 8
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 4
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)