May 19, 2014, 10:40 AM EDT
The Philadelphia Flyers under former GM Paul Holmgren were nothing if not bold. He was always ready to make a blockbuster trade or risky signing.
That era might have ended with Ron Hextall ascension to Holmgren’s former position.
“Sometimes you just have to wait for things to come to fruition,” Hextall told the Philadelphia Inquirer. “On the other hand, there are times you have to look out there for something to make your team better, but I think for the most part I’ll be patient in this job.”
This summer is likely to be the first example of that as Hextall plans to enter the 2014-15 campaign with largely the same team that lost to the New York Rangers in the first round of the playoffs.
“I like our team, like our youth up front,” Hextall said. “I like a lot of things. In saying that, there are a few things we have to take a peek at. But I’m not expecting anything earth-shattering right now.”
At this point, it looks like Hextall’s biggest goal is the sign a left winger and there are some noteworthy ones that might hit the unrestricted free agent market, like Thomas Vanek and Matt Moulson. That being said, Hextall specified that he’s looking for left wingers in general rather than someone capable of playing alongside Claude Giroux. That might be a nod to the Flyers’ cap situation, as they would probably need to make a trade to fit a guy like Vanek or Moulson under the cap.
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 7
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 34
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 147
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 15
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 4
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 24
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 29
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Preds’ Weber not travelling to Chicago 15
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (146)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (98)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)