May 19, 2014, 9:03 AM EDT
Every now and then, a trade goes so wrong for a team that it negatively impacts the franchise for years to come. In June 2009, the Montreal Canadiens made such a deal when they acquired Scott Gomez as part of a seven-player trade.
It’s a move easy to criticize in hindsight, but even at the time it was questionable as Gomez came with an annual cap hit of roughly $7.4 million through the 2013-14 campaign. In the end, Gomez tanked so badly in Montreal that the team refused to let him play last season, for fear that he might get hurt before Montreal could use an amnesty buyout on him. The NHL and players association got together to allow the Canadiens to buy him out early as a compromise.
And yet, even with him gone that trade still haunts them because one of the players they gave up, 2007 first round pick Ryan McDonagh, has flourished with the Rangers. In Game 1 of the Eastern Conference Final, the 24-year-old defenseman gave the Canadiens a taste of what they missed out by scoring a goal and three assists in the Rangers’ 7-2 victory.
For McDonagh, this isn’t about getting revenge for being traded. He has long since moved and “it’s all about (the Rangers) now,” per the Toronto Star.
It could have been all about Montreal, and while the Canadiens have a great team regardless, that’s one trade they have to regret.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 70
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)