May 19, 2014, 2:17 PM EST
Bob Murray has been the Anaheim Ducks’ general manager since 2008 and with the team swinging upwards, there’s no plan to change course now. Consequently, the Ducks announced that they have signed Murray to a four-year contract extension that will take him through 2020.
Murray worked under former Ducks GM Brian Burke when the team won the Stanley Cup in 2007. The Ducks haven’t gotten past the second round since then, but they have made the playoffs in four of Murray’s six campaigns, despite the budget limitations he’s faced.
Under his watch, the team has undergone a youth movement that they’re started to reap the rewards of. Defensemen Cam Fowler and Hampus Lindholm, who played significant roles in the 2013-14 campaign, are two early examples of that, but there’s still have a lot of talent coming. They have the second best farm system by Hockey’s Future’s estimation, even after factoring out several “graduated” players like Fowler, Lindholm, Devante Smith-Pelly, and Emerson Etem.
One of their most promising prospects, goaltender John Gibson, might play a big role next season. The Ducks turned to him during the second round of the playoffs despite his lack of NHL experience and while he was far from perfect, he also showed a lot of promise. Then again, the Ducks might go with a more experienced option in 2014-15 to give Gibson additional time to develop.
Either way, the next task for the Ducks will be getting past the second round and moving on from the Teemu Selanne era. Although Selanne’s role was limited this season, the 43-year-old forward has been a fixture of this team for many years. His presence and leadership will be missed.
Dec 24, 2014, 8:59 PM EST
Only Glen Sather is ahead of him.
Dec 24, 2014, 7:51 PM EST
“It’s like a little miracle down here.”
Dec 24, 2014, 6:40 PM EST
It was initially credited to Martin St. Louis.
Dec 24, 2014, 5:54 PM EST
Will he eventually earn a full-time NHL roster spot?
Dec 24, 2014, 4:31 PM EST
His stint with the Lightning was brief, but memorable.
Dec 24, 2014, 3:28 PM EST
Not surprisingly, the Kings feature prominently.
Dec 24, 2014, 2:22 PM EST
League rules that Jackman wasn’t expecting to be punched, “nor should he be.”
Dec 24, 2014, 1:18 PM EST
Dec 24, 2014, 12:23 PM EST
Owner Eugene Melnyk has called the potential move a “game-changer.”
Dec 24, 2014, 11:18 AM EST
“We’re seeing some of his best hockey,” Claude Julien said.
Dec 24, 2014, 11:18 AM EST
And they’re planning to start taking deposits for the 2016-17 season.
Dec 24, 2014, 11:05 AM EST
Minnesota’s lost four straight, and six of its last eight.
Dec 24, 2014, 10:24 AM EST
Semyon Varlamov’s shutout probably makes that a more comfortable idea.
Dec 24, 2014, 9:43 AM EST
A controversial check left Buffalo winger Brian Gionta injured.
Dec 24, 2014, 8:33 AM EST
Wednesday’s collection of links.
Dec 24, 2014, 1:20 AM EST
Winnipeg has won three of four.
Dec 24, 2014, 12:30 AM EST
The Devils enter the Christmas holidays on a two-game skid.
Dec 23, 2014, 11:45 PM EST
Made 26 saves for the shutout.
Dec 23, 2014, 11:00 PM EST
Tampa rookie Andrei Vasilevskiy picked up his second career win.
Dec 23, 2014, 10:30 PM EST
Bernier made 43 saves for the shutout
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 19
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 23
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 13
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (64)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (42)