May 19, 2014, 2:17 PM EDT
Bob Murray has been the Anaheim Ducks’ general manager since 2008 and with the team swinging upwards, there’s no plan to change course now. Consequently, the Ducks announced that they have signed Murray to a four-year contract extension that will take him through 2020.
Murray worked under former Ducks GM Brian Burke when the team won the Stanley Cup in 2007. The Ducks haven’t gotten past the second round since then, but they have made the playoffs in four of Murray’s six campaigns, despite the budget limitations he’s faced.
Under his watch, the team has undergone a youth movement that they’re started to reap the rewards of. Defensemen Cam Fowler and Hampus Lindholm, who played significant roles in the 2013-14 campaign, are two early examples of that, but there’s still have a lot of talent coming. They have the second best farm system by Hockey’s Future’s estimation, even after factoring out several “graduated” players like Fowler, Lindholm, Devante Smith-Pelly, and Emerson Etem.
One of their most promising prospects, goaltender John Gibson, might play a big role next season. The Ducks turned to him during the second round of the playoffs despite his lack of NHL experience and while he was far from perfect, he also showed a lot of promise. Then again, the Ducks might go with a more experienced option in 2014-15 to give Gibson additional time to develop.
Either way, the next task for the Ducks will be getting past the second round and moving on from the Teemu Selanne era. Although Selanne’s role was limited this season, the 43-year-old forward has been a fixture of this team for many years. His presence and leadership will be missed.
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 12
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 18
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 7
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 28
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 78
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 52
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)