May 19, 2014, 12:12 PM EDT
When the Pittsburgh Penguins announced that Ray Shero was fired from his post as the team’s general manager, player agent Pat Brisson was floated as a possible successor. It looks like he doesn’t want the job though, per TSN’s Bob McKenzie.
It’s not hard to see why Brisson would be considered an appealing candidate. He already has strong ties to Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin as their agent and is close to Penguins owners Ron Burkle and Mario Lemieux.
“We’ve been linked to each other for many years,” Brisson acknowledged, “and have exchanged ideas on many fronts and the business of hockey especially. They reached out on possible candidates for the vacant GM job on Friday. As for me, I am happy with what I do at CAA and will continue on the path of representing players.”
Brisson also represents Patrick Kane and Jonathan Toews and both of them are scheduled to become unrestricted free agents in the summer of 2015, so if he joined the Penguins now, he would be missing out on a big payday, as CBC noted.
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 2
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 11
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 29
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 40
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 26
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 24
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 39
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 131
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)