May 19, 2014, 12:12 PM EDT
When the Pittsburgh Penguins announced that Ray Shero was fired from his post as the team’s general manager, player agent Pat Brisson was floated as a possible successor. It looks like he doesn’t want the job though, per TSN’s Bob McKenzie.
It’s not hard to see why Brisson would be considered an appealing candidate. He already has strong ties to Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin as their agent and is close to Penguins owners Ron Burkle and Mario Lemieux.
“We’ve been linked to each other for many years,” Brisson acknowledged, “and have exchanged ideas on many fronts and the business of hockey especially. They reached out on possible candidates for the vacant GM job on Friday. As for me, I am happy with what I do at CAA and will continue on the path of representing players.”
Brisson also represents Patrick Kane and Jonathan Toews and both of them are scheduled to become unrestricted free agents in the summer of 2015, so if he joined the Penguins now, he would be missing out on a big payday, as CBC noted.
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 4
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 1
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 9
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 37
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)