May 18, 2014, 4:43 PM EDT
Update: Perhaps the most straightforward and accessible explanation for the process of disallowing that would-be 2-0 Chicago goal came from Mike Milbury, who explains why it didn’t count in this video from the second intermission:
Ah, OK, that sort of works. Maybe?
There are plenty of big momentum swings in playoff series and many individual games, but those shifts can be that much tougher to stomach when a controversial call happens. Chicago Blackhawks head coach Joel Quenneville was livid when a Jonathan Toews goal was disallowed because of a late goalie interference call in Game 1 on Sunday.
Moments later, the Los Angeles Kings scored to make what look like a 2-0 lead evaporate into a 1-1 tie in the second period. Here is the full sequence:
Goalie interference isn’t supposed to be reviewed by video – at least not until next season, if some tweaks are made – yet it certainly seemed like that happened.
At 3:22 of the second period in the Los Angeles Kings/Chicago Blackhawks game, the referee consulted video review to see if Jonathan Toews’ initial shot entered the Los Angeles net. It was determined Toews’ initial shot did not enter the net. The referee’s original call on the ice was “good goal” but a discussion between the on-ice officials resulted in a “no goal” decision because Toews made incidental contact with Kings goaltender Jonathan Quick before the puck crossed the goal line. This is not a reviewable play therefore the decision on the ice stands – no goal and no penalty.
The Twitter community was almost as confused as Quenneville was livid on the bench:
The Blackhawks just scored a 2-1 goal moments ago, so maybe the bounces are going Chicago’s way now?
- Kronwalled: Red Wings defenseman levels Lightning’s Kucherov 0
- Video: Mrazek makes astounding save, Stamkos brawls again 6
- 2015 Norris Trophy finalists: Doughty, Karlsson and Subban 24
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 22
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 14
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 74
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 50
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (88)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)