May 18, 2014, 6:50 PM EDT
The Chicago Blackhawks have played two fewer postseason games in 2014 and came into Sunday’s eventual Game 1 victory with quite a bit more rest, yet the Los Angeles Kings aren’t using fatigue as an excuse after losing 3-1 today.
Kings head coach Darryl Sutter said that the only time he really noticed a lack of energy was early in the game and during a few other shifts in the first period.
Mike Richards echoed Sutter’s thoughts on that shaky beginning.
“It took us a little bit to get into the game,” Richards said. “I think we were a little bit sloppy in the first. We made some mistakes and they capitalized on them. We didn’t capitalize on our chances.”
Those observations seem reasonable, as you can see (from this chart via Extra Skater) that the Blackhawks started off with the advantage but Los Angeles eventually ended up with more shot attempts as the game went on. They also landed more shots on goal, firing 26 to Chicago’s 20:
Ultimately, the Blackhawks managed to win 3-1 despite arguably a better effort from the Kings. That might seem like a missed opportunity, although it at least inspired someone to use a folksy Sutter-ism after the game:
Fatigue might not have been a big factor in Game 1, yet the Kings find themselves facing yet another series deficit. They’ve shown plenty of fight in these playoffs, but going down 2-0 against the defending champs might just be too much for this team to overcome.
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 18
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 5
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 25
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 18
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)