Mike Babcock says he’s happy in Detroit

May 18, 2014, 11:20 AM EDT

Mike Babcock AP

Each summer there’s a rush for free agency. Next summer’s biggest prize could be Detroit Red Wings coach Mike Babcock.

Babcock and Red Wings GM Ken Holland each have one year remaining on their contracts with the team and while he’s heard all the stories about teams desiring to have him behind their bench, he tells Yahoo! Sports’ Nick Cotsonika he’s happy where he is now. He also understands what the process will be like to re-sign him.

I have a contract for a year; Ken Holland has a contract for a year,” Babcock said. “I assume the sequence of events are, they deal with Ken Holland first, and then they deal with Mike Babcock. But I’m real comfortable, and I mean that, and I’ve said it. I’m on record. I’m comfortable in my situation. It’s not like I need someone to do anything right now. I’m fine because I think our team’s going in the right direction again.”

Babcock added he’s open to “anything” when it comes to discussing an extension. He also added that even if he was fired he wouldn’t look for a new job because his oldest daughter is set to graduate from high school next summer. That’s not to say he won’t want to explore a new opportunity after that, however.

It’s good for Babcock to say all this and cool everyone off that’s kicked around the idea of stealing him away to be their coach. Fans and media in Toronto, Pittsburgh, and anywhere else with a coaching vacancy have kicked around the idea of bringing Babcock in. But a year from now, the rumors and speculation could be at an all-time high.

Related: Babcock says coaching Detroit is ‘pretty hard to beat’

Latest Posts
  1. Bordeleau (back) out about three months, others Avs limp into camp

Sep 18, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT

Colorado Avalanche v San Jose Sharks Getty Images

Jamie McGinn and John Mitchell also rank among the already-wounded.

2. Bruins GM on Krug, Smith: ‘They’re not going anywhere’

Sep 18, 2014, 10:08 PM EDT

Torey Krug, Patrice Bergeron, Justin Florek, Reilly Smith, Kevan Miller AP

Peter Chiarelli also (kinda sorta) addressed Johnny Boychuk rumors.

3. Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’

Sep 18, 2014, 10:07 PM EDT

Josh Harding AP

He won’t be paid or count against the cap while he’s injured.

4. Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau

Sep 18, 2014, 8:45 PM EDT

Los Angeles Kings v Anaheim Ducks - Game Seven Getty Images

Maybe the English version of his book will be kinder?

5. Columbus reacts to Horton (back) being out indefinitely

Sep 18, 2014, 4:30 PM EDT

Dallas Stars v Columbus Blue Jackets Getty Images

At least the Blue Jackets’ GM is ruling out surgery.

6. Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’

Sep 18, 2014, 3:51 PM EDT

Toronto Maple Leafs v Philadelphia Flyers Getty Images

He’ll miss at least months, GM Ron Hextall said.

7. Jagr: ‘I want to play until 50′

Sep 18, 2014, 3:16 PM EDT

Jaromir Jagr, Travis Zajac AP

Hey, he’s got less than eight years to go.

8. Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks

Sep 18, 2014, 2:25 PM EDT

Willie Desjardins AP

“I don’t think I had a conversation with Torts until Christmas last year.”

9. Silent Blue: Armstrong will no longer comment on Schwartz

Sep 18, 2014, 2:24 PM EDT

Doug Armstrong AP

“The next time I’ll talk publicly about Jaden is when we sign him.”

10. Rangers to name new captain at end of camp

Sep 18, 2014, 12:36 PM EDT

McDonagh

And it’s probably going to be Ryan McDonagh.

11. Eakin, Dillon still without contracts in Dallas

Sep 18, 2014, 12:12 PM EDT

Cody Eakin, Corey Perry AP

Two key youngsters on a Stars team with high hopes.

12. Veteran d-man Lee going to Preds camp on PTO

Sep 18, 2014, 12:06 PM EDT

Ottawa Senators v New York Islanders Getty Images

Former first-round pick missed extensive time to a torn ACL.

13. Ex-1st rounder Barker goes full circle, will attend ‘Hawks camp

Sep 18, 2014, 11:27 AM EDT

Cam Barker AP

Remember him? Taken 3rd overall in 2004… behind Alex Ovechkin and Evgeni Malkin.

14. Wings lose young sniper Mantha (6-8 weeks) to broken tibia

Sep 18, 2014, 11:10 AM EDT

AnthonyMantha

Tough blow for a kid looking to make the leap this season.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches