May 18, 2014, 11:20 AM EDT
Each summer there’s a rush for free agency. Next summer’s biggest prize could be Detroit Red Wings coach Mike Babcock.
Babcock and Red Wings GM Ken Holland each have one year remaining on their contracts with the team and while he’s heard all the stories about teams desiring to have him behind their bench, he tells Yahoo! Sports’ Nick Cotsonika he’s happy where he is now. He also understands what the process will be like to re-sign him.
“I have a contract for a year; Ken Holland has a contract for a year,” Babcock said. “I assume the sequence of events are, they deal with Ken Holland first, and then they deal with Mike Babcock. But I’m real comfortable, and I mean that, and I’ve said it. I’m on record. I’m comfortable in my situation. It’s not like I need someone to do anything right now. I’m fine because I think our team’s going in the right direction again.”
Babcock added he’s open to “anything” when it comes to discussing an extension. He also added that even if he was fired he wouldn’t look for a new job because his oldest daughter is set to graduate from high school next summer. That’s not to say he won’t want to explore a new opportunity after that, however.
It’s good for Babcock to say all this and cool everyone off that’s kicked around the idea of stealing him away to be their coach. Fans and media in Toronto, Pittsburgh, and anywhere else with a coaching vacancy have kicked around the idea of bringing Babcock in. But a year from now, the rumors and speculation could be at an all-time high.
- It’s Toronto Maple Leafs Day at PHT 0
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 19
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 40
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 35
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 30
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Owner Pegula: Sabres have gone through ‘two of the most successful seasons we’ve ever had’ (43)
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM (40)