May 18, 2014, 11:20 AM EDT
Each summer there’s a rush for free agency. Next summer’s biggest prize could be Detroit Red Wings coach Mike Babcock.
Babcock and Red Wings GM Ken Holland each have one year remaining on their contracts with the team and while he’s heard all the stories about teams desiring to have him behind their bench, he tells Yahoo! Sports’ Nick Cotsonika he’s happy where he is now. He also understands what the process will be like to re-sign him.
“I have a contract for a year; Ken Holland has a contract for a year,” Babcock said. “I assume the sequence of events are, they deal with Ken Holland first, and then they deal with Mike Babcock. But I’m real comfortable, and I mean that, and I’ve said it. I’m on record. I’m comfortable in my situation. It’s not like I need someone to do anything right now. I’m fine because I think our team’s going in the right direction again.”
Babcock added he’s open to “anything” when it comes to discussing an extension. He also added that even if he was fired he wouldn’t look for a new job because his oldest daughter is set to graduate from high school next summer. That’s not to say he won’t want to explore a new opportunity after that, however.
It’s good for Babcock to say all this and cool everyone off that’s kicked around the idea of stealing him away to be their coach. Fans and media in Toronto, Pittsburgh, and anywhere else with a coaching vacancy have kicked around the idea of bringing Babcock in. But a year from now, the rumors and speculation could be at an all-time high.
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 35
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 11
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 47
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 25
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)