May 18, 2014, 11:20 AM EDT
Each summer there’s a rush for free agency. Next summer’s biggest prize could be Detroit Red Wings coach Mike Babcock.
Babcock and Red Wings GM Ken Holland each have one year remaining on their contracts with the team and while he’s heard all the stories about teams desiring to have him behind their bench, he tells Yahoo! Sports’ Nick Cotsonika he’s happy where he is now. He also understands what the process will be like to re-sign him.
“I have a contract for a year; Ken Holland has a contract for a year,” Babcock said. “I assume the sequence of events are, they deal with Ken Holland first, and then they deal with Mike Babcock. But I’m real comfortable, and I mean that, and I’ve said it. I’m on record. I’m comfortable in my situation. It’s not like I need someone to do anything right now. I’m fine because I think our team’s going in the right direction again.”
Babcock added he’s open to “anything” when it comes to discussing an extension. He also added that even if he was fired he wouldn’t look for a new job because his oldest daughter is set to graduate from high school next summer. That’s not to say he won’t want to explore a new opportunity after that, however.
It’s good for Babcock to say all this and cool everyone off that’s kicked around the idea of stealing him away to be their coach. Fans and media in Toronto, Pittsburgh, and anywhere else with a coaching vacancy have kicked around the idea of bringing Babcock in. But a year from now, the rumors and speculation could be at an all-time high.
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 15
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 11
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 84
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 16
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (90)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)