May 18, 2014, 1:52 PM EDT
It might be the second season in a row the Los Angeles Kings have faced the Chicago Blackhawks in the Western Conference Final, but Kings defenseman Drew Doughty really likes what they’ve got going for them this time around.
Doughty spoke with reporters upon arrival in Chicago on Saturday and said he likes what they’ve got going this time around as opposed to when they lost in five games to the Blackhawks last season.
“I think we’ve got a better team this year than last year,” Doughty said. “We’ve got some new additions. We’ve got some D-men like Muzz, who is playing a lot better than he was last year. He’s a lot more confident and has that experience now. We’ve got Gabby in the trade and Gabby’s been a huge fit to this team. He’s produced a lot of points and helped us a lot offensively and putting him with Kopi is great too.
“I think some of those little things make us a better team this year. Hopefully we can take advantage of what we learned from last year.”
Jake Muzzin has been Doughty’s partner for two seasons now and they’ve made for a formidable top pairing on the blue line.
One thing Doughty didn’t mention was how this year’s Kings team is actually healthy headed into the Western Final. If you’re going up against the defending champs, it’s best to have your full roster healthy and ready to go.
- Once again, Carlyle’s Leafs are searching for answers 2
- Video: Sens, Leafs, Habs combine for beautiful tribute following Ottawa shootings 2
- Sleepy Sharks hit new low in loss to Buffalo 10
- Goalie nods: Gustavsson gets his second start 0
- Price downplays start as Canadiens host Rangers 8
- Sens, Habs and Leafs pay tribute to fallen soldier 3
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 34
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 28
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (83)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? (37)
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case (36)