May 18, 2014, 5:56 PM EDT
The Chicago Blackhawks had four days off to prepare for Game 1 of the Western Conference Finals and needed all of it to hold back the Los Angeles Kings 3-1 at United Center.
Duncan Keith‘s goal at 11:54 of the second period proved to be the game-winner and the Blackhawks grabbed a 1-0 series lead at home. Keith’s slap shot from the blue line hit off the stick of Kings forward Trevor Lewis and took a wicked bounce to help propel the puck past Jonathan Quick to make it 2-1.
It wasn’t all easy for the Blackhawks as they had to withstand a push from the Kings in the second period that saw them outshoot Chicago 17-6. Overall in the game, Corey Crawford was outstanding as he made 25 saves to earn the win. It was the third straight game Crawford has only allowed one goal.
The Blackhawks thought they had a 2-0 lead early in the second period when Jonathan Toews slipped the puck past Quick, but the goal was disallowed after the officials discussed Toews running into Quick on the play. The Kings capitalized on the no-goal call and Tyler Toffoli made it 1-1 just 1:13 later.
Toews wouldn’t be denied, however, as he scored with 3:50 left in the third to give the Blackhawks a 3-1 lead. The win was Chicago’s seventh straight home victory in the playoffs.
Now that you’ve watched all those videos, here are the full highlights from Game 1:
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 7
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 25
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 16
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)