May 18, 2014, 5:56 PM EST
The Chicago Blackhawks had four days off to prepare for Game 1 of the Western Conference Finals and needed all of it to hold back the Los Angeles Kings 3-1 at United Center.
Duncan Keith‘s goal at 11:54 of the second period proved to be the game-winner and the Blackhawks grabbed a 1-0 series lead at home. Keith’s slap shot from the blue line hit off the stick of Kings forward Trevor Lewis and took a wicked bounce to help propel the puck past Jonathan Quick to make it 2-1.
It wasn’t all easy for the Blackhawks as they had to withstand a push from the Kings in the second period that saw them outshoot Chicago 17-6. Overall in the game, Corey Crawford was outstanding as he made 25 saves to earn the win. It was the third straight game Crawford has only allowed one goal.
The Blackhawks thought they had a 2-0 lead early in the second period when Jonathan Toews slipped the puck past Quick, but the goal was disallowed after the officials discussed Toews running into Quick on the play. The Kings capitalized on the no-goal call and Tyler Toffoli made it 1-1 just 1:13 later.
Toews wouldn’t be denied, however, as he scored with 3:50 left in the third to give the Blackhawks a 3-1 lead. The win was Chicago’s seventh straight home victory in the playoffs.
Now that you’ve watched all those videos, here are the full highlights from Game 1:
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 0
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 2
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 50
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 2
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 2
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (50)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)