May 18, 2014, 5:56 PM EST
The Chicago Blackhawks had four days off to prepare for Game 1 of the Western Conference Finals and needed all of it to hold back the Los Angeles Kings 3-1 at United Center.
Duncan Keith‘s goal at 11:54 of the second period proved to be the game-winner and the Blackhawks grabbed a 1-0 series lead at home. Keith’s slap shot from the blue line hit off the stick of Kings forward Trevor Lewis and took a wicked bounce to help propel the puck past Jonathan Quick to make it 2-1.
It wasn’t all easy for the Blackhawks as they had to withstand a push from the Kings in the second period that saw them outshoot Chicago 17-6. Overall in the game, Corey Crawford was outstanding as he made 25 saves to earn the win. It was the third straight game Crawford has only allowed one goal.
The Blackhawks thought they had a 2-0 lead early in the second period when Jonathan Toews slipped the puck past Quick, but the goal was disallowed after the officials discussed Toews running into Quick on the play. The Kings capitalized on the no-goal call and Tyler Toffoli made it 1-1 just 1:13 later.
Toews wouldn’t be denied, however, as he scored with 3:50 left in the third to give the Blackhawks a 3-1 lead. The win was Chicago’s seventh straight home victory in the playoffs.
Now that you’ve watched all those videos, here are the full highlights from Game 1:
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 3
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 6
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 9
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 25
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)