May 17, 2014, 5:47 PM EDT
Rick Nash probably said it the best after the New York Rangers’ 7-2 win against the Montreal Canadiens in Game 1: “All the bounces went our way.” Despite Nash saying all the right team-first things, the most important bounce – for him, anyway – came when he finally scored his first goal of this postseason.
Sure, it came in his 15th game on his 54th shot on goal … but he can stop answering that “first goal” question until he’s in the playoffs once more.
Here’s video of the goal:
Check out video of his (again, very team-first) comments:
To give some perspective regarding his struggles, consider a few things:
- The two snipers who probably can relate the most to Nash this postseason are James Neal and Marian Hossa. Neal connected for two goals on 49 shots on goal, a success rate of 4.1 percent. Hossa has only been a bit luckier/more accurate, scoring two goals on 47 shots (4.3 percent). Sidney Crosby finished the playoffs with a single goal despite 38 shots of his own (2.6 percent).
- Going back to the 2013 postseason, Tyler Seguin must have been quite frustrated himself (70 shots, just one goal) and Jaromir Jagr could definitely feel Nash’s pain (zero goals on 58 shots). Then again, Nash’s luck/accuracy wasn’t that much better in 2013; he managed one goal on 42 shots, just a 2.4 percent success rate.
Nash admits that he “exhaled” after scoring that goal, but it remains to be seen if his puck luck will turn around going forward.
Sep 3, 2015, 10:46 PM EDT
He might serve on the Capitals’ third defensive pairing.
Sep 3, 2015, 9:20 PM EDT
He was Arizona’s second pick of the draft after Dylan Strome.
Sep 3, 2015, 7:52 PM EDT
Kane is under a police investigation.
Sep 3, 2015, 7:25 PM EDT
They took him under custody from jail and now he’s awaiting a hearing with an immigration judge.
Sep 3, 2015, 6:25 PM EDT
Can he find a role with the Flames given their deep blueline?
Sep 3, 2015, 4:57 PM EDT
“Antti was frustrated after Chicago send him [a] second time [to the] AHL and he told me truly how he felt.”
Sep 3, 2015, 3:25 PM EDT
His availability for the season opener is in doubt.
Sep 3, 2015, 2:03 PM EDT
Bruins d-man is using them as motivation for a bounce-back campaign.
Sep 3, 2015, 1:02 PM EDT
This should be good.
Sep 3, 2015, 11:42 AM EDT
Where he worked with — wait for it — current Minnesota starter Devan Dubnyk.
Sep 3, 2015, 10:53 AM EDT
In a shocking development, “money and term” are the sticking points.
Sep 3, 2015, 10:03 AM EDT
He could face up to five years in prison.
Sep 3, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
It would mark a record for the sale of a U.S.-based NHL team.
Sep 3, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Thursday’s collection of links.
Sep 2, 2015, 11:30 PM EDT
Bakersfield and Stockton will play in West Sacramento, Calif. on Dec. 18.
Sep 2, 2015, 10:00 PM EDT
As many as five teams are reportedly interested in acquiring the 26-year-old.
Sep 2, 2015, 8:45 PM EDT
He was expecting a two or three year contract.
Sep 2, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
The 26-year-old refuted an Ilta-Sanomat story.
Sep 2, 2015, 3:35 PM EDT
The 23-year-old appeared in 38 games with Chicago last season.
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 12
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 13
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)