May 17, 2014, 5:47 PM EDT
Rick Nash probably said it the best after the New York Rangers’ 7-2 win against the Montreal Canadiens in Game 1: “All the bounces went our way.” Despite Nash saying all the right team-first things, the most important bounce – for him, anyway – came when he finally scored his first goal of this postseason.
Sure, it came in his 15th game on his 54th shot on goal … but he can stop answering that “first goal” question until he’s in the playoffs once more.
Here’s video of the goal:
Check out video of his (again, very team-first) comments:
To give some perspective regarding his struggles, consider a few things:
- The two snipers who probably can relate the most to Nash this postseason are James Neal and Marian Hossa. Neal connected for two goals on 49 shots on goal, a success rate of 4.1 percent. Hossa has only been a bit luckier/more accurate, scoring two goals on 47 shots (4.3 percent). Sidney Crosby finished the playoffs with a single goal despite 38 shots of his own (2.6 percent).
- Going back to the 2013 postseason, Tyler Seguin must have been quite frustrated himself (70 shots, just one goal) and Jaromir Jagr could definitely feel Nash’s pain (zero goals on 58 shots). Then again, Nash’s luck/accuracy wasn’t that much better in 2013; he managed one goal on 42 shots, just a 2.4 percent success rate.
Nash admits that he “exhaled” after scoring that goal, but it remains to be seen if his puck luck will turn around going forward.
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 23
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 46
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 20
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 85
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 18
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 15
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 13
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 47
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 5
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (87)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)