May 17, 2014, 5:47 PM EDT
Rick Nash probably said it the best after the New York Rangers’ 7-2 win against the Montreal Canadiens in Game 1: “All the bounces went our way.” Despite Nash saying all the right team-first things, the most important bounce – for him, anyway – came when he finally scored his first goal of this postseason.
Sure, it came in his 15th game on his 54th shot on goal … but he can stop answering that “first goal” question until he’s in the playoffs once more.
Here’s video of the goal:
Check out video of his (again, very team-first) comments:
To give some perspective regarding his struggles, consider a few things:
- The two snipers who probably can relate the most to Nash this postseason are James Neal and Marian Hossa. Neal connected for two goals on 49 shots on goal, a success rate of 4.1 percent. Hossa has only been a bit luckier/more accurate, scoring two goals on 47 shots (4.3 percent). Sidney Crosby finished the playoffs with a single goal despite 38 shots of his own (2.6 percent).
- Going back to the 2013 postseason, Tyler Seguin must have been quite frustrated himself (70 shots, just one goal) and Jaromir Jagr could definitely feel Nash’s pain (zero goals on 58 shots). Then again, Nash’s luck/accuracy wasn’t that much better in 2013; he managed one goal on 42 shots, just a 2.4 percent success rate.
Nash admits that he “exhaled” after scoring that goal, but it remains to be seen if his puck luck will turn around going forward.
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 2
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 3
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)