May 17, 2014, 5:47 PM EST
Rick Nash probably said it the best after the New York Rangers’ 7-2 win against the Montreal Canadiens in Game 1: “All the bounces went our way.” Despite Nash saying all the right team-first things, the most important bounce – for him, anyway – came when he finally scored his first goal of this postseason.
Sure, it came in his 15th game on his 54th shot on goal … but he can stop answering that “first goal” question until he’s in the playoffs once more.
Here’s video of the goal:
Check out video of his (again, very team-first) comments:
To give some perspective regarding his struggles, consider a few things:
- The two snipers who probably can relate the most to Nash this postseason are James Neal and Marian Hossa. Neal connected for two goals on 49 shots on goal, a success rate of 4.1 percent. Hossa has only been a bit luckier/more accurate, scoring two goals on 47 shots (4.3 percent). Sidney Crosby finished the playoffs with a single goal despite 38 shots of his own (2.6 percent).
- Going back to the 2013 postseason, Tyler Seguin must have been quite frustrated himself (70 shots, just one goal) and Jaromir Jagr could definitely feel Nash’s pain (zero goals on 58 shots). Then again, Nash’s luck/accuracy wasn’t that much better in 2013; he managed one goal on 42 shots, just a 2.4 percent success rate.
Nash admits that he “exhaled” after scoring that goal, but it remains to be seen if his puck luck will turn around going forward.
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 4
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 6
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 10
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 25
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)