May 17, 2014, 5:47 PM EDT
Rick Nash probably said it the best after the New York Rangers’ 7-2 win against the Montreal Canadiens in Game 1: “All the bounces went our way.” Despite Nash saying all the right team-first things, the most important bounce – for him, anyway – came when he finally scored his first goal of this postseason.
Sure, it came in his 15th game on his 54th shot on goal … but he can stop answering that “first goal” question until he’s in the playoffs once more.
Here’s video of the goal:
Check out video of his (again, very team-first) comments:
To give some perspective regarding his struggles, consider a few things:
- The two snipers who probably can relate the most to Nash this postseason are James Neal and Marian Hossa. Neal connected for two goals on 49 shots on goal, a success rate of 4.1 percent. Hossa has only been a bit luckier/more accurate, scoring two goals on 47 shots (4.3 percent). Sidney Crosby finished the playoffs with a single goal despite 38 shots of his own (2.6 percent).
- Going back to the 2013 postseason, Tyler Seguin must have been quite frustrated himself (70 shots, just one goal) and Jaromir Jagr could definitely feel Nash’s pain (zero goals on 58 shots). Then again, Nash’s luck/accuracy wasn’t that much better in 2013; he managed one goal on 42 shots, just a 2.4 percent success rate.
Nash admits that he “exhaled” after scoring that goal, but it remains to be seen if his puck luck will turn around going forward.
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 20
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 54
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)