May 17, 2014, 7:03 PM EDT
The New York Rangers put on an outstanding passing display and often looked significantly faster than the Montreal Canadiens in throttling them 7-2 in Game 1 on Saturday. Habs head coach Michel Therrien hopes this is a wake-up call for his team.
He also believes that the Canadiens came into this series with maybe a little too much confidence after beating their historic rivals (and this season’s Presidents’ Trophy winners) the Boston Bruins.
As it turns out, it’s been quite some time since the Rangers have been on this sort of hot streak in the postseason.
During that high-pressure streak, the Rangers have outscored their opponents 17-5.
If a 7-2 loss in a conference finals game against a red-hot team that has been especially difficult to put away in these playoffs isn’t enough to get the Canadiens focused again, then it’s hard to imagine what would do the trick.
“You never want to lose a game, but it’s going to bring us to get back unhurt and make sure that we as a group have to be
ready to compete and ready to play every night if we want to have a chance to win,” Therrien said. “So we’ve put that game behind us. We’re going to move forward, but that’s a good lesson.”
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 0
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 4
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 6
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 32
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 9
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)