May 17, 2014, 7:03 PM EDT
The New York Rangers put on an outstanding passing display and often looked significantly faster than the Montreal Canadiens in throttling them 7-2 in Game 1 on Saturday. Habs head coach Michel Therrien hopes this is a wake-up call for his team.
He also believes that the Canadiens came into this series with maybe a little too much confidence after beating their historic rivals (and this season’s Presidents’ Trophy winners) the Boston Bruins.
As it turns out, it’s been quite some time since the Rangers have been on this sort of hot streak in the postseason.
During that high-pressure streak, the Rangers have outscored their opponents 17-5.
If a 7-2 loss in a conference finals game against a red-hot team that has been especially difficult to put away in these playoffs isn’t enough to get the Canadiens focused again, then it’s hard to imagine what would do the trick.
“You never want to lose a game, but it’s going to bring us to get back unhurt and make sure that we as a group have to be
ready to compete and ready to play every night if we want to have a chance to win,” Therrien said. “So we’ve put that game behind us. We’re going to move forward, but that’s a good lesson.”
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 9
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 18
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 5
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 27
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 76
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 51
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)