May 17, 2014, 7:03 PM EDT
The New York Rangers put on an outstanding passing display and often looked significantly faster than the Montreal Canadiens in throttling them 7-2 in Game 1 on Saturday. Habs head coach Michel Therrien hopes this is a wake-up call for his team.
He also believes that the Canadiens came into this series with maybe a little too much confidence after beating their historic rivals (and this season’s Presidents’ Trophy winners) the Boston Bruins.
As it turns out, it’s been quite some time since the Rangers have been on this sort of hot streak in the postseason.
During that high-pressure streak, the Rangers have outscored their opponents 17-5.
If a 7-2 loss in a conference finals game against a red-hot team that has been especially difficult to put away in these playoffs isn’t enough to get the Canadiens focused again, then it’s hard to imagine what would do the trick.
“You never want to lose a game, but it’s going to bring us to get back unhurt and make sure that we as a group have to be
ready to compete and ready to play every night if we want to have a chance to win,” Therrien said. “So we’ve put that game behind us. We’re going to move forward, but that’s a good lesson.”
- Habs sign Petry to a six-year, $33 million extension 17
- ‘Home-grown talent’ a staple of Blackhawks and Lightning 4
- A holdover from the ‘dark days,’ does Sharp have a future in Chicago? 51
- Bishop: ‘Taller guys…can be just as athletic as the smaller guys’ 6
- Tire pump? Yzerman says Toews is ‘bigger, stronger, better’ than he was 21
- Devils officially announce John Hynes, becomes youngest NHL coach 9
- PHT arrives in Tampa, gets soaked (oh, and today is Media Day) 6
- Ex-Leafs goalie Pogge eyeing North American return 5
- Poll: Should the Ducks fire Boudreau? 86
- Zuccarello (brain contusion, skull fracture) was unable to speak after injury 28
- ‘Hawks rise to occasion in Game 7, head to SCF for third time in six years (95)
- Poll: Should the Ducks fire Boudreau? (87)
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers (76)
- Is it fair to hold cap teams to old dynasty standards? (74)
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win (65)