May 17, 2014, 5:01 PM EST
Carey Price‘s departure after two periods in the Montreal Canadiens’ 7-2 loss to the New York Rangers in Game 1 of the Eastern Conference Final was enough to put a scare into Habs fans all over.
Early in the second period, Price was run into by Rangers forward Chris Kreider after he was tripped up on a break towards the net. Price got up wobbly but finished the period but allowed four goals overall, two of them coming late in the second.
Following the game, Canadiens coach Michel Therrien explained what he thought of the collision and why he pulled Price.
“I think it was accidental, honestly,” Therrien said. “The fact that he didn’t play in the third period, that was more to protect him than anything, because we were not sharp in front of him.”
While that explains why he took him out, whether or not Price is injured is still unknown. The team wasn’t playing well in front of Price or Peter Budaj who replaced him, but the Habs played a mostly strong second period aside from the late goals.
Seeing a goalie yanked in a 4-1 game doesn’t generally happen, at least not in these playoffs loaded with comebacks, but after the collision with Kreider it’s probably for the best to let him take a seat. This just makes tomorrow’s practice a must-see situation as to whether or not Price hits the ice.
Here’s video of the collision if you missed it:
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 34
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 49
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 58
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)