May 17, 2014, 5:01 PM EDT
Carey Price‘s departure after two periods in the Montreal Canadiens’ 7-2 loss to the New York Rangers in Game 1 of the Eastern Conference Final was enough to put a scare into Habs fans all over.
Early in the second period, Price was run into by Rangers forward Chris Kreider after he was tripped up on a break towards the net. Price got up wobbly but finished the period but allowed four goals overall, two of them coming late in the second.
Following the game, Canadiens coach Michel Therrien explained what he thought of the collision and why he pulled Price.
“I think it was accidental, honestly,” Therrien said. “The fact that he didn’t play in the third period, that was more to protect him than anything, because we were not sharp in front of him.”
While that explains why he took him out, whether or not Price is injured is still unknown. The team wasn’t playing well in front of Price or Peter Budaj who replaced him, but the Habs played a mostly strong second period aside from the late goals.
Seeing a goalie yanked in a 4-1 game doesn’t generally happen, at least not in these playoffs loaded with comebacks, but after the collision with Kreider it’s probably for the best to let him take a seat. This just makes tomorrow’s practice a must-see situation as to whether or not Price hits the ice.
Here’s video of the collision if you missed it:
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 12
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 18
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 7
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 28
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 78
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 52
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)