May 17, 2014, 3:48 PM EDT
Plenty of story lines were blown apart in just one game as the New York Rangers blew out the Montreal Canadiens 7-2 to take Game 1 of the Eastern Conference Final.
The Rangers were led by defenseman Ryan McDonagh with a goal and three assists, forward Mats Zuccarello had a goal and two assists and four other players, including Rick Nash, finished with a goal and an assist. The goal was Nash’s first of the Stanley Cup Playoffs.
After all the talk of how poorly Henrik Lundqvist has played in his career in Montreal, he gave up two goals on 18 shots and only had to withstand pressure in the second period from Montreal to preserve the lead.
Both teams will have potential injuries to keep an eye on headed into Game 2.
Rangers forward Derick Brassard was hurt early in the first period after a big hit from Habs defenseman Mike Weaver. Canadiens goalie Carey Price was roughed up a bit after a collision with Kreider in the second period and while he finished the second, Peter Budaj took his place in goal to start the third period.
After the power play woes the Rangers had in the first two rounds with Philadelphia andPittsburgh, they scored three with the extra man in the third period and went 3-for-7 overall.
Here are the Rangers-heavy highlights from Game 1:
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 68
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 42
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 32
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 22
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 56
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)