May 17, 2014, 3:48 PM EST
Plenty of story lines were blown apart in just one game as the New York Rangers blew out the Montreal Canadiens 7-2 to take Game 1 of the Eastern Conference Final.
The Rangers were led by defenseman Ryan McDonagh with a goal and three assists, forward Mats Zuccarello had a goal and two assists and four other players, including Rick Nash, finished with a goal and an assist. The goal was Nash’s first of the Stanley Cup Playoffs.
After all the talk of how poorly Henrik Lundqvist has played in his career in Montreal, he gave up two goals on 18 shots and only had to withstand pressure in the second period from Montreal to preserve the lead.
Both teams will have potential injuries to keep an eye on headed into Game 2.
Rangers forward Derick Brassard was hurt early in the first period after a big hit from Habs defenseman Mike Weaver. Canadiens goalie Carey Price was roughed up a bit after a collision with Kreider in the second period and while he finished the second, Peter Budaj took his place in goal to start the third period.
After the power play woes the Rangers had in the first two rounds with Philadelphia andPittsburgh, they scored three with the extra man in the third period and went 3-for-7 overall.
Here are the Rangers-heavy highlights from Game 1:
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 65
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 74
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (146)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)