May 17, 2014, 12:54 PM EDT
Playing in Montreal at Bell Centre in the Stanley Cup Playoffs makes for a dramatic setting. It can also be one of the more intimidating venues in the NHL.
According to New York Rangers forward Brad Richards, however, it’s a place that provides a setting unlike any other in sports and one his team has to be prepared for as Katie Strang of ESPN-NewYork shares.
“I’m not gonna lie, it’s the best place to play,” Richards said following the team’s practice on Thursday. “I’ve been at Super Bowls, Yankees-Red Sox games at old Yankee Stadium, Game 7 of the World Series, I’ve played in Stanley Cup finals. I can’t imagine any sporting event this amazing. … It’s gonna be so fun. It’s going to be a great opportunity for us.”
“Fun” may not be the word the Rangers will use if the crowd is able to sway the course of play.
That applies to not just the home-standing Habs but the officials as well. The crowd’s influence on making things happen has been talked about for a long time and it’s been no different during these playoffs.
All that aside, the atmosphere in Montreal for the playoffs is something worth noting and the Rangers are about to find out why.
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 70
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 42
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 33
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 56
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)