May 17, 2014, 12:54 PM EDT
Playing in Montreal at Bell Centre in the Stanley Cup Playoffs makes for a dramatic setting. It can also be one of the more intimidating venues in the NHL.
According to New York Rangers forward Brad Richards, however, it’s a place that provides a setting unlike any other in sports and one his team has to be prepared for as Katie Strang of ESPN-NewYork shares.
“I’m not gonna lie, it’s the best place to play,” Richards said following the team’s practice on Thursday. “I’ve been at Super Bowls, Yankees-Red Sox games at old Yankee Stadium, Game 7 of the World Series, I’ve played in Stanley Cup finals. I can’t imagine any sporting event this amazing. … It’s gonna be so fun. It’s going to be a great opportunity for us.”
“Fun” may not be the word the Rangers will use if the crowd is able to sway the course of play.
That applies to not just the home-standing Habs but the officials as well. The crowd’s influence on making things happen has been talked about for a long time and it’s been no different during these playoffs.
All that aside, the atmosphere in Montreal for the playoffs is something worth noting and the Rangers are about to find out why.
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 0
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 0
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 29
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)