May 17, 2014, 5:01 PM EST
NHL teams have only become more tight-lipped with injury information as the playoffs roll on, so it’s no surprise that the New York Rangers are providing next to zero details about center Derick Brassard. Head coach Alain Vigneault would only say that Brassard is day-to-day while the forward indicated that he might know more about his condition on Sunday.
Vigneault wouldn’t even provide the standard (well, standard in the regular season) “upper-body” or “lower-body” designation after the Rangers’ big Game 1 victory in Montreal.
As much as NHL players are celebrated for fighting through pain, there are times when an athlete might be limited to the extent that his presence can actually be a detriment to his team. Brassard apparently came to that conclusion after being shaken up by a big hit by Habs defenseman Mike Weaver.
Obviously, the Rangers did just fine without Brassard, but the team probably wouldn’t mind having the talented 26-year-old in their lineup considering the likelihood of a spirited response from the Canadiens in Game 2 on Monday.
Here is video of that hit:
We’ll see if Brassard has a better idea about his condition on Sunday or if he ends up being closer to a game-time decision.
- Miller’s second straight shutout puts Canucks in NHL lead 15
- Video: Ennis fires behind his back while falling, scores 3
- Video: Hjalmarsson crushes Kesler, Lindholm scores in wild sequence (Updated) 6
- Trade: Ducks get Brewer from Lightning; Beauchemin out 4-6 weeks 2
- Thanksgiving Shutdown: Rangers blank listless Flyers for second time this season 25
- Video: Martin St. Louis scores goal for 1,000th point 2
- Actual video proof that Brodeur is practicing with the Blues 5
- Return of the Mac: Rangers captain McDonagh in today vs. Flyers 3
- NHL on NBC: Rangers vs. Flyers in a Thanksgiving Showdown 2
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Report: Perron’s name comes up as Oilers seek trade for ‘top center’ (45)
- Video: Bruins see two goals waved off (44)
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? (43)