May 17, 2014, 5:01 PM EDT
NHL teams have only become more tight-lipped with injury information as the playoffs roll on, so it’s no surprise that the New York Rangers are providing next to zero details about center Derick Brassard. Head coach Alain Vigneault would only say that Brassard is day-to-day while the forward indicated that he might know more about his condition on Sunday.
Vigneault wouldn’t even provide the standard (well, standard in the regular season) “upper-body” or “lower-body” designation after the Rangers’ big Game 1 victory in Montreal.
As much as NHL players are celebrated for fighting through pain, there are times when an athlete might be limited to the extent that his presence can actually be a detriment to his team. Brassard apparently came to that conclusion after being shaken up by a big hit by Habs defenseman Mike Weaver.
Obviously, the Rangers did just fine without Brassard, but the team probably wouldn’t mind having the talented 26-year-old in their lineup considering the likelihood of a spirited response from the Canadiens in Game 2 on Monday.
Here is video of that hit:
We’ll see if Brassard has a better idea about his condition on Sunday or if he ends up being closer to a game-time decision.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)