May 17, 2014, 5:01 PM EDT
NHL teams have only become more tight-lipped with injury information as the playoffs roll on, so it’s no surprise that the New York Rangers are providing next to zero details about center Derick Brassard. Head coach Alain Vigneault would only say that Brassard is day-to-day while the forward indicated that he might know more about his condition on Sunday.
Vigneault wouldn’t even provide the standard (well, standard in the regular season) “upper-body” or “lower-body” designation after the Rangers’ big Game 1 victory in Montreal.
As much as NHL players are celebrated for fighting through pain, there are times when an athlete might be limited to the extent that his presence can actually be a detriment to his team. Brassard apparently came to that conclusion after being shaken up by a big hit by Habs defenseman Mike Weaver.
Obviously, the Rangers did just fine without Brassard, but the team probably wouldn’t mind having the talented 26-year-old in their lineup considering the likelihood of a spirited response from the Canadiens in Game 2 on Monday.
Here is video of that hit:
We’ll see if Brassard has a better idea about his condition on Sunday or if he ends up being closer to a game-time decision.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 69
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)