May 16, 2014, 7:09 PM EDT
Despite the Anaheim Ducks holding home-ice advantage as the higher seed in Friday’s Game 7, there are probably more than a few people who consider the Los Angeles Kings the real “favorite” tonight.
If nothing else, the Kings have been here before … and have succeeded under such duress. Maybe that explains why renowned Game 7 performer Justin Williams seemed to exude confidence when discussing this big game with LA Kings Insider.
“I mean, we’re loose,” Williams said. “I don’t know the aura that we give out. We have that quiet arrogance within our group and we’re going to try and use that.”
The 32-year-old really provided NHL.com with the money quote, though.
“I think it comes with the attitude of the players and just the chemistry and I guess the makeup of the team that makes you believe that you can win,” Williams said. “There is nothing else around. It’s an attitude within a person. You don’t shrivel when push comes to shove. You want to get your peacock feathers out, and you want to prove that you can do it and you want to have the puck on your stick while you do it.”
As today’s game notes highlight, Williams doesn’t seem to struggle getting his “peacock feathers out” in Game 7 contests. Williams managed to score at least one point in every Game 7 he’s appeared in. Overall, he has 10 points (five goals [including two game-winners], five assists) in five Game 7’s and maybe most importantly, his teams are 5-0 in those decisive contests.
Those are the kind of numbers that can inspire some quiet arrogance, but that confidence could dampen quite a bit if the Ducks knock the Kings out of the postseason tonight.
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 0
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 6
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 9
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 37
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)