May 16, 2014, 7:09 PM EDT
Despite the Anaheim Ducks holding home-ice advantage as the higher seed in Friday’s Game 7, there are probably more than a few people who consider the Los Angeles Kings the real “favorite” tonight.
If nothing else, the Kings have been here before … and have succeeded under such duress. Maybe that explains why renowned Game 7 performer Justin Williams seemed to exude confidence when discussing this big game with LA Kings Insider.
“I mean, we’re loose,” Williams said. “I don’t know the aura that we give out. We have that quiet arrogance within our group and we’re going to try and use that.”
The 32-year-old really provided NHL.com with the money quote, though.
“I think it comes with the attitude of the players and just the chemistry and I guess the makeup of the team that makes you believe that you can win,” Williams said. “There is nothing else around. It’s an attitude within a person. You don’t shrivel when push comes to shove. You want to get your peacock feathers out, and you want to prove that you can do it and you want to have the puck on your stick while you do it.”
As today’s game notes highlight, Williams doesn’t seem to struggle getting his “peacock feathers out” in Game 7 contests. Williams managed to score at least one point in every Game 7 he’s appeared in. Overall, he has 10 points (five goals [including two game-winners], five assists) in five Game 7’s and maybe most importantly, his teams are 5-0 in those decisive contests.
Those are the kind of numbers that can inspire some quiet arrogance, but that confidence could dampen quite a bit if the Ducks knock the Kings out of the postseason tonight.
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 1
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 25
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 5
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 2
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 41
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 35
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 7
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 13
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6