May 16, 2014, 7:09 PM EST
Despite the Anaheim Ducks holding home-ice advantage as the higher seed in Friday’s Game 7, there are probably more than a few people who consider the Los Angeles Kings the real “favorite” tonight.
If nothing else, the Kings have been here before … and have succeeded under such duress. Maybe that explains why renowned Game 7 performer Justin Williams seemed to exude confidence when discussing this big game with LA Kings Insider.
“I mean, we’re loose,” Williams said. “I don’t know the aura that we give out. We have that quiet arrogance within our group and we’re going to try and use that.”
The 32-year-old really provided NHL.com with the money quote, though.
“I think it comes with the attitude of the players and just the chemistry and I guess the makeup of the team that makes you believe that you can win,” Williams said. “There is nothing else around. It’s an attitude within a person. You don’t shrivel when push comes to shove. You want to get your peacock feathers out, and you want to prove that you can do it and you want to have the puck on your stick while you do it.”
As today’s game notes highlight, Williams doesn’t seem to struggle getting his “peacock feathers out” in Game 7 contests. Williams managed to score at least one point in every Game 7 he’s appeared in. Overall, he has 10 points (five goals [including two game-winners], five assists) in five Game 7’s and maybe most importantly, his teams are 5-0 in those decisive contests.
Those are the kind of numbers that can inspire some quiet arrogance, but that confidence could dampen quite a bit if the Ducks knock the Kings out of the postseason tonight.
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 1
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 4
- Flyers’ Mason tweaked back, will miss weekend games 10
- Gordie Howe makes ‘amazing’ recovery following stem cell treatment in Mexico 11
- Video: Penguins’ spoof of ‘Christmas Vacation’ is pretty good 14
- Mason hurt, helped off ice at end of Flyers practice 8
- Could Vermette land in Washington? 7
- Pens confirm Maatta has the mumps 5
- As holiday roster freeze approaches, Bruins linked to Oshie, Kassian 27
- Video: Pacioretty taken to hospital, reportedly no hearing expected for Stoner after questionable hit 35