May 16, 2014, 7:09 PM EDT
Despite the Anaheim Ducks holding home-ice advantage as the higher seed in Friday’s Game 7, there are probably more than a few people who consider the Los Angeles Kings the real “favorite” tonight.
If nothing else, the Kings have been here before … and have succeeded under such duress. Maybe that explains why renowned Game 7 performer Justin Williams seemed to exude confidence when discussing this big game with LA Kings Insider.
“I mean, we’re loose,” Williams said. “I don’t know the aura that we give out. We have that quiet arrogance within our group and we’re going to try and use that.”
The 32-year-old really provided NHL.com with the money quote, though.
“I think it comes with the attitude of the players and just the chemistry and I guess the makeup of the team that makes you believe that you can win,” Williams said. “There is nothing else around. It’s an attitude within a person. You don’t shrivel when push comes to shove. You want to get your peacock feathers out, and you want to prove that you can do it and you want to have the puck on your stick while you do it.”
As today’s game notes highlight, Williams doesn’t seem to struggle getting his “peacock feathers out” in Game 7 contests. Williams managed to score at least one point in every Game 7 he’s appeared in. Overall, he has 10 points (five goals [including two game-winners], five assists) in five Game 7’s and maybe most importantly, his teams are 5-0 in those decisive contests.
Those are the kind of numbers that can inspire some quiet arrogance, but that confidence could dampen quite a bit if the Ducks knock the Kings out of the postseason tonight.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 19
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 42
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)