May 16, 2014, 3:05 PM EDT
Teams often like to be considered the underdogs, so perhaps it was a matter of gamesmanship on Rangers coach Alain Vigneault’s part, but he gave a glowing review of the Montreal Canadiens ahead of the Eastern Conference Final.
“I know they went into the Boston series saying that they felt Boston didn’t respect them. We respect Montreal quite a bit,” Vigneault told the Bergen Record. “They’re not only a very strong team, but they’re a team that has beaten the No. 1 team in the NHL right now, a team went to the Stanley Cup Finals last year, a team that beat the New York Rangers in five games last year.
“So, we know that we’ve got our hands full.”
Vigneault thought the Canadiens were the underdogs against Tampa Bay and Boston, but he feels they’re the favorites versus New York. He noted that the pressure that comes with that role might do “funny things” to them.
He’s also been reviewing footage of Montreal’s playoff games thus far and hasn’t found anything that the Rangers can exploit. When that statement was shared with Canadiens coach Michel Therrien, he started to laugh.
“That’s a media game,” Therrien said, per NHL.com’s Аrpon Basu.
Game 1 will be played in Montreal on Saturday (1:00 p.m. ET, NBC).
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 39
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 9
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 39
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)