May 16, 2014, 10:06 AM EST
The Pittsburgh Penguins have announced a press conference for 11:30 a.m. ET. They didn’t reveal the details of it ahead of time, but it will be to announce the firings of general manager Ray Shero and head coach Dan Bylsma, according to TSN’s Bob McKenzie.
Bylsma’s dismal doesn’t come as much of a surprise. Although he won the Stanley Cup in 2009 and Jack Adams Award in 2011, the Penguins have been underwhelming in their recent postseason. They’ve had the talent to make a serious run at the Stanley Cup on an annual basis and that just hasn’t happened.
More importantly, this move was telegraphed by a recent report, which suggested that the Penguins’ ownership had soured to Bylsma. There were also reports that Bylsma lost the locker room, although Sidney Crosby denied that.
Shero’s future was seen as a bit less certain. He won the GM of the Year award in 2013 and had secured favorable contracts for the likes of forwards James Neal, Chris Kunitz, and Pascal Dupuis. He also acquired Jussi Jokinen during the 2013 campaign for next to nothing and Jokinen turned out to be a significant contributor for the Penguins this season.
That being said, it looks like the Penguins want a fresh start as they look to change the course of the Sidney Crosby/Evgeni Malkin-era before it’s too late.
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 5
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 7
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 10
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 27
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)