May 16, 2014, 11:47 AM EDT
Citing five straight seasons of underachieving in the playoffs, Pittsburgh Penguins CEO/president David Morehouse announced today that the club has fired general manager Ray Shero.
Despite an earlier report to the contrary, head coach Dan Bylsma has not been fired. The new GM will determine Bylsma’s fate, as well as the rest of the coaching staff.
In the meantime, assistant GM Jason Botterill will take over as interim GM. Botterill is also a candidate to become the new GM, who will be charged with evaluating the entire hockey operations department.
Morehouse said “there wasn’t one specific thing” that led to the decision to relieve Shero.
“We just have high expectations and want to get better,” he said.
The announcement comes three days after the Penguins were eliminated in the second round of the playoffs by the New York Rangers. Since winning the Stanley Cup in 2009, the Penguins, featuring superstars Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin, have failed to get back to the final. When they did reach the Eastern Conference Final last year, they were swept by the Boston Bruins, getting outscored 12-2 over the four games. That defeat came one year after Pittsburgh was eliminated in the first round by Philadelphia.
“We feel it is time to move our franchise in a new direction,” said co-owners Mario Lemieux and Ron Burkle in a release. “We share the disappointment of our fans that we have not had success in the playoffs over the past five seasons. We believe that new leadership in the general manager’s office will bring a new approach and new energy, and help us return to championship form.”
Mar 26, 2015, 7:03 PM EDT
He’s lining up with Brad Marchand and Patrice Bergeron to start.
Mar 26, 2015, 6:37 PM EDT
A Vladimir Tarasenko hit shook him up on Tuesday.
Mar 26, 2015, 5:40 PM EDT
Vermont power forward was the club’s third-round pick in 2011.
Mar 26, 2015, 4:56 PM EDT
Featuring Erik Karlsson, Marc Methot and a guest appearance from Curtis Lazar.
Mar 26, 2015, 4:37 PM EDT
The 43-year-old has been a big influence on his young linemates.
Mar 26, 2015, 4:09 PM EDT
Granted, they have to make them first.
Mar 26, 2015, 3:44 PM EDT
Bruce Boudreau continues to “experiment” on defense.
Mar 26, 2015, 3:20 PM EDT
“Hopefully we realize that, come together and allow this group to stay together.”
Mar 26, 2015, 2:44 PM EDT
An interesting comment from his agent.
Mar 26, 2015, 2:14 PM EDT
News and notes from around the crease…
Mar 26, 2015, 1:57 PM EDT
“We are all thinking the same way and going the same direction.”
Mar 26, 2015, 1:29 PM EDT
Mar 26, 2015, 1:16 PM EDT
Colgate standout inks deal, will report to team.
Mar 26, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
Well, that clears it up.
Mar 26, 2015, 12:57 PM EDT
Was a Hobey Baker and Mike Richter Award finalist in 2014.
Mar 26, 2015, 12:18 PM EDT
Click for the video explanation.
Mar 26, 2015, 12:18 PM EDT
“We will continue to monitor the situation closely and until the continuing legal process is completed, we will have no further comment.”
Mar 26, 2015, 12:05 PM EDT
He was the club’s third-round pick at the 2014 NHL Entry Draft.
Mar 26, 2015, 12:04 PM EDT
It’s been a while.
Mar 26, 2015, 11:44 AM EDT
Triple Gold Club member won a World Championship and Olympic Gold in 2006, and a Stanley Cup in 2008.
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 14
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 22
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 14
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 13
- Sens tell fans to stop throwing hamburgers 35
- NHL confirms working with Isles, Leddy regarding Twitter threats (Updated) 16
- Snider: Patience is ‘great with the kids,’ but not with ‘the team we have on the ice’ 11
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Asst. GM Guerin admits Penguins need to lay off the refs (52)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)