May 16, 2014, 3:11 PM EST
“Every year I seem to have this comment about him finding a balance between irritant/agitator and real good player. I think sometimes his antics gets in the way. This has been a discussion I’ve had, [coach Claude Julien’s] had over the course of three, four, five years, and it’s a challenge for Brad to play that aggressive way and not to cross the line. You’ve heard this from me a lot. … We have to dial back some of that stuff.”
That was Bruins general manager Peter Chiarelli today, answering a question about Boston forward Brad Marchand, and whether the player’s reputation was becoming a problem for the team.
Chiarelli’s comments came on the heels of Wednesday’s Game 7 loss to Montreal in which Marchand earned two minor penalties, one for goalie interference on a questionable (reputation?) call, the other an unsportsmanlike conduct for showering Carey Price with snow.
That same game also saw Marchand do this:
Earlier this season, Chiarelli expressed similar frustration with Marchand’s antics during a loss in Vancouver. Such was the clamor after that game that the GM had to clarify he wasn’t planning to trade the player.
Despite today’s remarks, Chiarelli did say that he, along with coach Julien, had “productive meetings” with Marchand earlier in the day.
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 2
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 16
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 58
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 28
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 81
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (81)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)