May 16, 2014, 3:11 PM EDT
“Every year I seem to have this comment about him finding a balance between irritant/agitator and real good player. I think sometimes his antics gets in the way. This has been a discussion I’ve had, [coach Claude Julien’s] had over the course of three, four, five years, and it’s a challenge for Brad to play that aggressive way and not to cross the line. You’ve heard this from me a lot. … We have to dial back some of that stuff.”
That was Bruins general manager Peter Chiarelli today, answering a question about Boston forward Brad Marchand, and whether the player’s reputation was becoming a problem for the team.
Chiarelli’s comments came on the heels of Wednesday’s Game 7 loss to Montreal in which Marchand earned two minor penalties, one for goalie interference on a questionable (reputation?) call, the other an unsportsmanlike conduct for showering Carey Price with snow.
That same game also saw Marchand do this:
Earlier this season, Chiarelli expressed similar frustration with Marchand’s antics during a loss in Vancouver. Such was the clamor after that game that the GM had to clarify he wasn’t planning to trade the player.
Despite today’s remarks, Chiarelli did say that he, along with coach Julien, had “productive meetings” with Marchand earlier in the day.
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 2
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 9
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)