May 16, 2014, 3:11 PM EDT
“Every year I seem to have this comment about him finding a balance between irritant/agitator and real good player. I think sometimes his antics gets in the way. This has been a discussion I’ve had, [coach Claude Julien’s] had over the course of three, four, five years, and it’s a challenge for Brad to play that aggressive way and not to cross the line. You’ve heard this from me a lot. … We have to dial back some of that stuff.”
That was Bruins general manager Peter Chiarelli today, answering a question about Boston forward Brad Marchand, and whether the player’s reputation was becoming a problem for the team.
Chiarelli’s comments came on the heels of Wednesday’s Game 7 loss to Montreal in which Marchand earned two minor penalties, one for goalie interference on a questionable (reputation?) call, the other an unsportsmanlike conduct for showering Carey Price with snow.
That same game also saw Marchand do this:
Earlier this season, Chiarelli expressed similar frustration with Marchand’s antics during a loss in Vancouver. Such was the clamor after that game that the GM had to clarify he wasn’t planning to trade the player.
Despite today’s remarks, Chiarelli did say that he, along with coach Julien, had “productive meetings” with Marchand earlier in the day.
- Lightning’s Vasilevskiy out 2-3 months after getting blood clot removed 3
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 23
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 22
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)