May 16, 2014, 11:50 PM EDT
Hockey’s version of the Freeway Series goes to the L.A. Kings, as they completed yet another series comeback against a California rival in these Stanley Cup playoffs.
The Kings defeated the Anaheim Ducks by a final score of 6-2 on Friday, taking the second-round series in seven games.
Once again, the Kings were facing elimination, after falling behind the Ducks three-games-to-two, but fought back to force a deciding game before completely overpowering Anaheim when it mattered the most.
It wasn’t quite as impressive as falling behind the San Jose Sharks 3-0 in the first round, before winning the next four games to take that series in historical fashion.
The Kings, in these playoffs, have gone through a few trends now: They lost three in a row to San Jose, then won four straight to close that series out. Then, they won the first two games of this series against the Ducks, before losing three in a row. They’re back to a two-game winning streak, as they now turn their attention to the Chicago Blackhawks.
It’s a rematch of the 2013 Western Conference Final, which the Blackhawks advanced from in their championship season. L.A. is off to the conference finals for a third straight year.
But the Kings-Ducks Game 7 was, for a few anxious moments late in the second period and into the third, was a blowout. The Kings jumped out to an early lead thanks to Justin Williams and his sixth goal in six career Game 7s.
The Kings, up 3-0 at the conclusion of the opening period on goals from Williams, Jeff Carter and Mike Richards, increased their lead to four goals early in the second period, ending 20-year-old rookie goalie John Gibson’s evening.
Sep 4, 2015, 12:18 PM EDT
She’s reportedly scheduled to appear before a grand jury on Sept. 8.
Sep 4, 2015, 11:47 AM EDT
He’s recovering from a broken right wrist.
Sep 4, 2015, 11:45 AM EDT
A summer of change provides “a fresh start.”
Sep 4, 2015, 10:15 AM EDT
Less (or at least delayed) competition for Ben Bishop.
Sep 4, 2015, 9:30 AM EDT
He didn’t play beyond Feb. 25.
Sep 4, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Friday’s collection of links.
Sep 3, 2015, 10:46 PM EDT
He might serve on the Capitals’ third defensive pairing.
Sep 3, 2015, 9:20 PM EDT
He was Arizona’s second pick of the draft after Dylan Strome.
Sep 3, 2015, 7:52 PM EDT
Kane is under a police investigation.
Sep 3, 2015, 7:25 PM EDT
They took him under custody from jail and now he’s awaiting a hearing with an immigration judge.
Sep 3, 2015, 6:25 PM EDT
Can he find a role with the Flames given their deep blueline?
Sep 3, 2015, 4:57 PM EDT
“Antti was frustrated after Chicago send him [a] second time [to the] AHL and he told me truly how he felt.”
Sep 3, 2015, 3:25 PM EDT
His availability for the season opener is in doubt.
Sep 3, 2015, 2:03 PM EDT
Bruins d-man is using them as motivation for a bounce-back campaign.
Sep 3, 2015, 1:02 PM EDT
This should be good.
Sep 3, 2015, 11:42 AM EDT
Where he worked with — wait for it — current Minnesota starter Devan Dubnyk.
Sep 3, 2015, 10:53 AM EDT
In a shocking development, “money and term” are the sticking points.
Sep 3, 2015, 10:03 AM EDT
He could face up to five years in prison.
Sep 3, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
It would mark a record for the sale of a U.S.-based NHL team.
Sep 3, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Thursday’s collection of links.
- Lightning’s Vasilevskiy out 2-3 months after getting blood clot removed 5
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 24
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)