May 16, 2014, 11:50 PM EST
Hockey’s version of the Freeway Series goes to the L.A. Kings, as they completed yet another series comeback against a California rival in these Stanley Cup playoffs.
The Kings defeated the Anaheim Ducks by a final score of 6-2 on Friday, taking the second-round series in seven games.
Once again, the Kings were facing elimination, after falling behind the Ducks three-games-to-two, but fought back to force a deciding game before completely overpowering Anaheim when it mattered the most.
It wasn’t quite as impressive as falling behind the San Jose Sharks 3-0 in the first round, before winning the next four games to take that series in historical fashion.
The Kings, in these playoffs, have gone through a few trends now: They lost three in a row to San Jose, then won four straight to close that series out. Then, they won the first two games of this series against the Ducks, before losing three in a row. They’re back to a two-game winning streak, as they now turn their attention to the Chicago Blackhawks.
It’s a rematch of the 2013 Western Conference Final, which the Blackhawks advanced from in their championship season. L.A. is off to the conference finals for a third straight year.
But the Kings-Ducks Game 7 was, for a few anxious moments late in the second period and into the third, was a blowout. The Kings jumped out to an early lead thanks to Justin Williams and his sixth goal in six career Game 7s.
The Kings, up 3-0 at the conclusion of the opening period on goals from Williams, Jeff Carter and Mike Richards, increased their lead to four goals early in the second period, ending 20-year-old rookie goalie John Gibson’s evening.
Dec 24, 2014, 8:59 PM EST
Only Glen Sather is ahead of him.
Dec 24, 2014, 7:51 PM EST
“It’s like a little miracle down here.”
Dec 24, 2014, 6:40 PM EST
It was initially credited to Martin St. Louis.
Dec 24, 2014, 5:54 PM EST
Will he eventually earn a full-time NHL roster spot?
Dec 24, 2014, 4:31 PM EST
His stint with the Lightning was brief, but memorable.
Dec 24, 2014, 3:28 PM EST
Not surprisingly, the Kings feature prominently.
Dec 24, 2014, 2:22 PM EST
League rules that Jackman wasn’t expecting to be punched, “nor should he be.”
Dec 24, 2014, 1:18 PM EST
Dec 24, 2014, 12:23 PM EST
Owner Eugene Melnyk has called the potential move a “game-changer.”
Dec 24, 2014, 11:18 AM EST
“We’re seeing some of his best hockey,” Claude Julien said.
Dec 24, 2014, 11:18 AM EST
And they’re planning to start taking deposits for the 2016-17 season.
Dec 24, 2014, 11:05 AM EST
Minnesota’s lost four straight, and six of its last eight.
Dec 24, 2014, 10:24 AM EST
Semyon Varlamov’s shutout probably makes that a more comfortable idea.
Dec 24, 2014, 9:43 AM EST
A controversial check left Buffalo winger Brian Gionta injured.
Dec 24, 2014, 8:33 AM EST
Wednesday’s collection of links.
Dec 24, 2014, 1:20 AM EST
Winnipeg has won three of four.
Dec 24, 2014, 12:30 AM EST
The Devils enter the Christmas holidays on a two-game skid.
Dec 23, 2014, 11:45 PM EST
Made 26 saves for the shutout.
Dec 23, 2014, 11:00 PM EST
Tampa rookie Andrei Vasilevskiy picked up his second career win.
Dec 23, 2014, 10:30 PM EST
Bernier made 43 saves for the shutout
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 19
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 23
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 13
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (64)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (42)