May 16, 2014, 11:50 PM EST
Hockey’s version of the Freeway Series goes to the L.A. Kings, as they completed yet another series comeback against a California rival in these Stanley Cup playoffs.
The Kings defeated the Anaheim Ducks by a final score of 6-2 on Friday, taking the second-round series in seven games.
Once again, the Kings were facing elimination, after falling behind the Ducks three-games-to-two, but fought back to force a deciding game before completely overpowering Anaheim when it mattered the most.
It wasn’t quite as impressive as falling behind the San Jose Sharks 3-0 in the first round, before winning the next four games to take that series in historical fashion.
The Kings, in these playoffs, have gone through a few trends now: They lost three in a row to San Jose, then won four straight to close that series out. Then, they won the first two games of this series against the Ducks, before losing three in a row. They’re back to a two-game winning streak, as they now turn their attention to the Chicago Blackhawks.
It’s a rematch of the 2013 Western Conference Final, which the Blackhawks advanced from in their championship season. L.A. is off to the conference finals for a third straight year.
But the Kings-Ducks Game 7 was, for a few anxious moments late in the second period and into the third, was a blowout. The Kings jumped out to an early lead thanks to Justin Williams and his sixth goal in six career Game 7s.
The Kings, up 3-0 at the conclusion of the opening period on goals from Williams, Jeff Carter and Mike Richards, increased their lead to four goals early in the second period, ending 20-year-old rookie goalie John Gibson’s evening.
Mar 5, 2015, 9:46 AM EST
May not be a good sign regarding Michael Latta.
Mar 5, 2015, 9:18 AM EST
J.T. Brown is banged up.
Mar 5, 2015, 8:35 AM EST
Mar 5, 2015, 1:47 AM EST
Four straight wins for Anaheim.
Mar 5, 2015, 1:04 AM EST
Fighting for tops in the Metropolitan Division.
Mar 5, 2015, 12:19 AM EST
What a roll he and the Sens are on.
Mar 4, 2015, 11:36 PM EST
He’s been consistently putting the puck in the net at the NHL level since 1996.
Mar 4, 2015, 11:06 PM EST
What better way to make an impression on new teammates.
Mar 4, 2015, 10:40 PM EST
Mar 4, 2015, 9:49 PM EST
Big Buff out could be a Big Loss for Winnipeg.
Mar 4, 2015, 9:26 PM EST
Good news for NYR.
Mar 4, 2015, 8:48 PM EST
Big Buff doing Big Buff things.
Mar 4, 2015, 8:26 PM EST
Also, for causing “significant injury.”
Mar 4, 2015, 7:23 PM EST
8 p.m. ET, on NBCSN
Mar 4, 2015, 6:50 PM EST
“It’s definitely an issue that needs a collective focus from our managers and the league in terms of how to deal with it.”
Mar 4, 2015, 6:18 PM EST
“It’s probably undeniable that down the road when [Chara] is done with his career, if Bergeron is here it would be pretty hard to not make him the next captain.”
Mar 4, 2015, 5:30 PM EST
An Original Six matchup at the Joe.
Mar 4, 2015, 4:43 PM EST
Has appeared in just three games for the Blue Jackets since being traded from Toronto.
Mar 4, 2015, 4:13 PM EST
‘Hawks are hoping he can “recapture” his early-season form.
Mar 4, 2015, 3:32 PM EST
Hurt it in practice.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 30
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 3
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 12
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 24
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 51
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)