May 16, 2014, 2:05 PM EDT
The Montreal Canadiens got some good news as they prepared to take on the New York Rangers in the Eastern Conference Final. Alex Galchenyuk (knee) was able to take part in contact drills during the team’s practice this morning, per the Canadiens’ website.
Galchenyuk skated on Montreal’s fifth line and it’s doubtful that he’ll be ready for Game 1 on Saturday. Still, this is a big step forward and opens the door to the possibility of him returning before the end of the Canadiens-Rangers series.
The 20-year-old forward scored 13 goals and registered 18 assists in 65 games as a sophomore in 2013-14. He was also one of the team’s better power-play contributors with 10 points.
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead 9
- Video: Jets fans celebrate return of playoff hockey with whiteout in Winnipeg 2
- Would McLellan like to coach McDavid? ‘You can have the best player and still not have the best team’ 20
- Burrows’ instigator suspension rescinded, allowed to play Game 4 24
- No hearing scheduled for Hamhuis after Bennett headshot 13
- Sharks and McLellan have ‘mutually agreed’ to part ways 50
- Desperate Jets will ‘lean on’ their crowd tonight 19
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 16
- Video: More late-game nastiness between Flames, Canucks 17
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (171)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)