May 16, 2014, 2:05 PM EDT
The Montreal Canadiens got some good news as they prepared to take on the New York Rangers in the Eastern Conference Final. Alex Galchenyuk (knee) was able to take part in contact drills during the team’s practice this morning, per the Canadiens’ website.
Galchenyuk skated on Montreal’s fifth line and it’s doubtful that he’ll be ready for Game 1 on Saturday. Still, this is a big step forward and opens the door to the possibility of him returning before the end of the Canadiens-Rangers series.
The 20-year-old forward scored 13 goals and registered 18 assists in 65 games as a sophomore in 2013-14. He was also one of the team’s better power-play contributors with 10 points.
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabres in franchise history 15
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 5
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 12
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 21
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 25
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 17