May 16, 2014, 2:05 PM EDT
The Montreal Canadiens got some good news as they prepared to take on the New York Rangers in the Eastern Conference Final. Alex Galchenyuk (knee) was able to take part in contact drills during the team’s practice this morning, per the Canadiens’ website.
Galchenyuk skated on Montreal’s fifth line and it’s doubtful that he’ll be ready for Game 1 on Saturday. Still, this is a big step forward and opens the door to the possibility of him returning before the end of the Canadiens-Rangers series.
The 20-year-old forward scored 13 goals and registered 18 assists in 65 games as a sophomore in 2013-14. He was also one of the team’s better power-play contributors with 10 points.
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues 69
- Blackhawks extend TVR through 2017-18 3
- Good start: McDavid scores five in Oilers scrimmage 32
- Caps ink Kuznetsov to two-year, $6 million extension 9
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 12
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 15
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 37
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 15
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Expansion process underway as NHL sends out applications (92)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues (72)