May 16, 2014, 2:05 PM EDT
The Montreal Canadiens got some good news as they prepared to take on the New York Rangers in the Eastern Conference Final. Alex Galchenyuk (knee) was able to take part in contact drills during the team’s practice this morning, per the Canadiens’ website.
Galchenyuk skated on Montreal’s fifth line and it’s doubtful that he’ll be ready for Game 1 on Saturday. Still, this is a big step forward and opens the door to the possibility of him returning before the end of the Canadiens-Rangers series.
The 20-year-old forward scored 13 goals and registered 18 assists in 65 games as a sophomore in 2013-14. He was also one of the team’s better power-play contributors with 10 points.
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 6
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 16
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 14
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 54
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)