May 16, 2014, 2:05 PM EDT
The Montreal Canadiens got some good news as they prepared to take on the New York Rangers in the Eastern Conference Final. Alex Galchenyuk (knee) was able to take part in contact drills during the team’s practice this morning, per the Canadiens’ website.
Galchenyuk skated on Montreal’s fifth line and it’s doubtful that he’ll be ready for Game 1 on Saturday. Still, this is a big step forward and opens the door to the possibility of him returning before the end of the Canadiens-Rangers series.
The 20-year-old forward scored 13 goals and registered 18 assists in 65 games as a sophomore in 2013-14. He was also one of the team’s better power-play contributors with 10 points.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 1
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)