May 16, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
The Los Angeles Kings can lean on their past success in Game 7s when looking for guidance ahead of tonight’s game. For the Anaheim Ducks, it’s just the opposite: They’re looking to their failures for motivation.
Anaheim secured the second seed in 2013, but lost to Detroit in the first round in seven games.
“I think the guys in this room have used Game 7 against Detroit, and the entire series against Detroit, as a teaching point this entire year,” Ducks defenseman Ben Lovejoy said, per NHL.com. “We know we did not play our best against them. We wanted to prove to ourselves and prove to the rest of the League that that was a fluke, and we have another opportunity to do that (tonight).”
Ducks forward Andrew Cogliano felt that the team was nervous against Detroit and coach Bruce Boudreau agreed that there was a mental component to the team’s shortcomings last year.
Anaheim has already made it further this time around by defeating the Dallas Stars in six games. The Ducks have also shown their perseverance by coming back in this series after dropping the first two games at home. There are reasons for them to feel good going into Game 7, although that doesn’t change the fact that the Kings are an remarkably difficult team to finish off.
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 21
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 17
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 18
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 13
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 9
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 31
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 20
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)