May 15, 2014, 12:06 PM EDT
The Tampa Bay Lightning have made it clear they want to re-sign Ryan Callahan, and Callahan has said he’s enjoyed his time with the Bolts.
But will any of that outweigh the potential of free agency?
“There’s always the temptation of July 1st,” Callahan’s agent, Steve Bartlett, told the Tampa Tribune. “You don’t get that many times in your career, especially at the peak of your career.
“Those are what you have to balance, the positive and all the good things he knows about Tampa, and what is his right, you have the opportunity to at least hear other people. That doesn’t mean Tampa wouldn’t be his first choice.”
Callahan, 29, should have a number of suitors if he does go to July 1. A Rochester native, he’s already been linked to a potential hometown return to Buffalo, and it’s possible a team with the requisite salary cap space could make a splash and pay Callahan the reported $45.5-$49 million he was seeking on a new deal.
Don’t forget that, despite the fact he’s not an offensive superstar, Callahan does carry some clout. He’s a two-time U.S. Olympian and captained one of the NHL’s most storied franchises (his predecessors in New York? Chris Drury, Jaromir Jagr, Mark Messier and Brian Leetch.)
He also brings a physical, two-way game to the table — Callahan finished fourth in Selke voting in 2012 — and that’s a far cry from some of the other big-name forwards projected to be available this summer, like Marian Gaborik, Thomas Vanek and Mike Cammalleri.
And, hey, let’s be real… few players pass up a crack at having teams bid for their services. We saw it last year with the likes of Valtteri Filppula, David Clarkson and Ryane Clowe, all of whom cashed in during free agency.
In light of this, it’s no surprise Bartlett can’t rule out his client going to market — even though both he and Callahan seem to like Tampa Bay.
“I have no doubt that (a lot) of teams will have interest in Ryan Callahan,” Bartlett said. “But, at the same time, I can say Tampa made a very good case for itself.”
Oct 25, 2014, 12:50 AM EDT
“I can see, thank God, I can see,” he reportedly said.
Oct 25, 2014, 12:50 AM EDT
She reportedly hasn’t spoken to police since being released from the hospital.
Oct 25, 2014, 12:30 AM EDT
It was the game-winner, too.
Oct 25, 2014, 12:00 AM EDT
Semyon Varlamov’s first win of 2014-15 and Colorado’s first home victory.
Oct 24, 2014, 11:30 PM EDT
Actually, Taylor Hall probably deserves the most credit for Edmonton’s highlight goal.
Oct 24, 2014, 11:12 PM EDT
Somehow the latter fight didn’t leave a crater in the ice.
Oct 24, 2014, 10:44 PM EDT
The Dallas Stars get the extra point.
Oct 24, 2014, 10:29 PM EDT
Injuries continue to … strike Tampa Bay.
Oct 24, 2014, 10:13 PM EDT
Update: Vladislav Namestnikov was credited with the last goal.
Oct 24, 2014, 9:59 PM EDT
On the bright side, Michael Grabner may resume skating soon.
Oct 24, 2014, 9:19 PM EDT
Unfortunately, Tampa Bay might face another injury in J.T. Brown.
Oct 24, 2014, 8:13 PM EDT
They send their 2014 first-rounder to the OHL.
Oct 24, 2014, 7:45 PM EDT
San Jose’s enjoyed such center depth before.
Oct 24, 2014, 6:32 PM EDT
Tough times lately for St. Louis.
Oct 24, 2014, 5:47 PM EDT
Highly-touted rearguard on his way to the bigs.
Oct 24, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT
Hey, maybe the NHL should try 3-on-3 overtime.
Oct 24, 2014, 4:34 PM EDT
Speaking from experience.
Oct 24, 2014, 3:55 PM EDT
Returns to the Cardiff team he played for during the lockout.
Oct 24, 2014, 3:32 PM EDT
All the news and notes from the blue paint…
Oct 24, 2014, 2:37 PM EDT
“Anytime you go personal with family…to me, that’s very disrespectful to the player and our profession.”
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 8
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 3
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 24
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 19
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)