May 15, 2014, 11:06 AM EDT
Some good news regarding the health of Islanders captain John Tavares — his recovery from a torn MCL and meniscus in his left knee is going along swimmingly.
“Everything’s pretty much back to normal,” Tavares said, per Buffalo’s WGR550 radio. “I was cleared last week to resume full activity, so I skated with the London Knights [of the Ontario Hockey League] as they’re preparing for the Memorial Cup for three days and three practices, and I feel really good.”
“I’m just happy I’m able to put this behind me, move forward, and look toward next season.”
Tavares, who suffered the knee injury while representing Canada at the Winter Olympics in Sochi, also said he’d be able to undergo his full summer training regimen.
This development will no doubt please the Islanders organization and especially GM Garth Snow, who was furious his captain and star player was hurt while playing in an international competition. Tavares’ importance to the club cannot be understated — at the time of his injury, the 23-year-old sat third in the NHL in scoring (with 66 points in 59 games) and was coming off a lockout-shortened ’13 campaign in which he received his first-ever Hart Trophy nomination as league MVP, carrying the Isles to the postseason for the first time in his career.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 10
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 8
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 33
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 24
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)