May 15, 2014, 1:59 AM EDT
The L.A. Kings are two years removed from a Stanley Cup championship. One year removed from a berth in the Western Conference Final.
Yet their head coach Darryl Sutter seems to think the Anaheim Ducks, because they won the Pacific Division and finished the regular season with 116 points compared to L.A.’s 100, are the favorites going into Game 7 of this second-round series on Friday.
One game left to decide which California team becomes the last one standing for this 2013-14 season. The Kings, thanks to their historical come-from-behind series win over the Sharks, have already knocked off one team from that state.
“I think this one, because you’re another two weeks into it, it’s another level of team that you’re talking about. We’re going into a building against a team that finished 16 points ahead of it,” said Sutter, as per LA Kings Insider.
“You can talk all you want – there’s a big underdog going in against the number one seed in the Western Conference.
“We talk about it all the time, about how much of an underdog we are.”
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 0
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 15
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 21
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 32
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 29
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 5
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 14
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 2
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 9
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (54)