May 15, 2014, 1:59 AM EDT
The L.A. Kings are two years removed from a Stanley Cup championship. One year removed from a berth in the Western Conference Final.
Yet their head coach Darryl Sutter seems to think the Anaheim Ducks, because they won the Pacific Division and finished the regular season with 116 points compared to L.A.’s 100, are the favorites going into Game 7 of this second-round series on Friday.
One game left to decide which California team becomes the last one standing for this 2013-14 season. The Kings, thanks to their historical come-from-behind series win over the Sharks, have already knocked off one team from that state.
“I think this one, because you’re another two weeks into it, it’s another level of team that you’re talking about. We’re going into a building against a team that finished 16 points ahead of it,” said Sutter, as per LA Kings Insider.
“You can talk all you want – there’s a big underdog going in against the number one seed in the Western Conference.
“We talk about it all the time, about how much of an underdog we are.”
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 70
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 42
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 33
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 56
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)