Sutter: Kings are underdogs going into Game 7 against Ducks

May 15, 2014, 1:59 AM EDT

Anaheim Ducks v Los Angeles Kings - Game Six Getty Images

The L.A. Kings are two years removed from a Stanley Cup championship. One year removed from a berth in the Western Conference Final.

Yet their head coach Darryl Sutter seems to think the Anaheim Ducks, because they won the Pacific Division and finished the regular season with 116 points compared to L.A.’s 100, are the favorites going into Game 7 of this second-round series on Friday.

The Kings forced the winner-take-all contest thanks to a 2-1 victory over the Ducks on Wednesday. The winner plays the Chicago Blackhawks in the next round.

One game left to decide which California team becomes the last one standing for this 2013-14 season. The Kings, thanks to their historical come-from-behind series win over the Sharks, have already knocked off one team from that state.

“I think this one, because you’re another two weeks into it, it’s another level of team that you’re talking about. We’re going into a building against a team that finished 16 points ahead of it,” said Sutter, as per LA Kings Insider.

“You can talk all you want – there’s a big underdog going in against the number one seed in the Western Conference.

“We talk about it all the time, about how much of an underdog we are.”

1. kings138 - May 15, 2014 at 2:23 AM

It’s gonna be a dog fight.

2. dannymac17 - May 15, 2014 at 3:09 AM

Well, regards of what the pundits might think, hes not wrong.

we dont play very good regular season hockey, just good enough to get in

sometimes its mind nummingly painful to watch them lose to bad teams then go tearing through great teams in the playoffs.

3. aldog83 - May 15, 2014 at 3:11 AM

I had to work and missed the game!!!

I unless I can get a friend to DVR it…

I’m missing game 7!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gonna watch the Hightlights now…

KINGS again have been so resilient.

Team has a lot of heart.

Anaheim dominated the Kings in the regular season and won 3 in a row in this series holding the kings to 3 goals in 3 games in LA..

I believe that Anaheim should be the favorite. They have the Getzlaf up for MVP. Perry a League Goal Scoring Champ Selanne a 1st Ballot Hall of Famer.

Oh yeah. and they are the #1 seed playing game 7 at home.

Of COURSE they are the favorite!!!

But the “favorite” does not always win…….

Win or Lose…

GKG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• patthehockeyfan - May 15, 2014 at 8:17 AM

Not sure what you do for a living, aldog83; but, time for a sick day or two!

In fact, I think I detect a sore throat and cough from you. Of course, that’s based solely on your comment. :)

4. patthehockeyfan - May 15, 2014 at 7:17 AM

GKG!!!

5. wishingtonredslur - May 15, 2014 at 8:12 AM

Well at least they didn’t have to travel very far.

6. joey4id - May 15, 2014 at 9:30 AM

Haven’t the Kings proven that they can win despite being the underdog? No way I would bet against them. Sutter definitely has the boys playing well, and they seem to have a step up on the Ducks. Another game 7 to enjoy. Quick or Gibson? Who’s going to be the better goalie tomorrow?

• blomfeld - May 15, 2014 at 11:23 AM

Joey – Thanks for your kind and reassuring words, however the bottom line remains that we Kings are definitely the ‘underdogs’ going in tomorrow night … no two ways about it. Our top producers have got to finally start ‘producing’ here big time (Carter, Kopitar, Brown, Richards, Gaborik, etc) … otherwise I fear it’ll be us who become the ‘roasted’ ducks ! … and that would be ‘upsetting’ to say the least eh ? :(

GO KINGS GO !!! … CRUSH GIBSON !!! … ROAST THE DUCKS !!! :)

• joey4id - May 15, 2014 at 11:40 AM

I’m sticking to my prediction based on what I’ve seen. Kings – goaltending and grinding play will make the difference.

I do prefer to see the Kings vs Hawks in the WCF.

• slysipops - May 16, 2014 at 12:26 AM

pass the dark meat please ,BLOMS ! maybe a little orange sauce too ! thank you ! the SLY !

7. earpaniac - May 15, 2014 at 11:02 AM

As a Hawk fan, I just hope one of the and teams pull it out in a quintuple overtime. ;)

• endusersolutions2013 - May 15, 2014 at 3:44 PM

Not necessary – end of triple would be good enough;).

I think Sutter is doing psych posturing/expectation management. Sure the Ducks had more points. And the last season addition of Marion Gaborick to a defensively-oriented club + not having much of a home advantage due to only a 30 mi distance makes me think it’s pretty much even.

Either way, Hawks will have a 3 day rest advantage.

• slysipops - May 16, 2014 at 12:28 AM

and we want rest ….not rust ! GO HAWKS GO !

Flyers have many concerns