May 15, 2014, 1:59 AM EST
The L.A. Kings are two years removed from a Stanley Cup championship. One year removed from a berth in the Western Conference Final.
Yet their head coach Darryl Sutter seems to think the Anaheim Ducks, because they won the Pacific Division and finished the regular season with 116 points compared to L.A.’s 100, are the favorites going into Game 7 of this second-round series on Friday.
One game left to decide which California team becomes the last one standing for this 2013-14 season. The Kings, thanks to their historical come-from-behind series win over the Sharks, have already knocked off one team from that state.
“I think this one, because you’re another two weeks into it, it’s another level of team that you’re talking about. We’re going into a building against a team that finished 16 points ahead of it,” said Sutter, as per LA Kings Insider.
“You can talk all you want – there’s a big underdog going in against the number one seed in the Western Conference.
“We talk about it all the time, about how much of an underdog we are.”
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 4
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)